classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Guys is c++ hard to learn

sp1der
Hi Guys

I know you developers are using c++ for this project. I`ve never done any coding ever! Is it hard to learn guys?

I don`t expect to learn over night, but if I was willing to learn a bit  - do you think that maybe in a year or 2 years I may have enough "basic"knowledge?

Also where do I start?

Also do you have to be really good at maths etc.?

All comments (be honest guys) are most welcome.

regards

Cave
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Guys is c++ hard to learn

R. van Twisk
Administrator
Clive,

see my comments below..
On Feb 4, 2012, at 12:08 PM, cave [via LibreCAD] wrote:

Hi Guys

I know you developers are using c++ for this project. I`ve never done any coding ever! Is it hard to learn guys?

Basic c++ is very easy to learn, take this for example:

i=i++;  (increase i by one)

there you go! Your first simple c++ line of code. Of course, there is much more to it,
mainly the objected oriented programming style where some knowledge about
the difference between objects and classes, what methods and virtual functions are
and more.

If you have a mindset that things in steps (do this, then that, call this… do that= then it's fairly easy to get going.

Most important with anything you want to learn. You need to have a goal, don't do it
because somebody else is doing it. Do it because you want to reach something.

In the beginning your goals need to be simple. Start with writing a simple Hello World program
and make sure you understand compiling and running your hello world. 
If you want to jump straight into Qt (the framework LibreCAD uses for the UI and more),
then this is also a excellent way to start. if you download QTCreator and the Qt SDK
then it will contain a ton of examples from simple Hello world programs
to complicated OpenGL examples.

I don`t expect to learn over night, but if I was willing to learn a bit  - do you think that maybe in a year or 2 years I may have enough "basic"knowledge?

In a coupld of weeks you will have basic knowledge, in a couple of Months you will beable to write
your own code. Given that you will play and study with it 30mins to a hour a day.

Also where do I start?

See Above, Hello World qith QTCreator!

Depending on what you are planning, not really. Most of LibreCAD doesn't releally need
expert math knowledge, however some areas do. Dli is our Math expert and he has done
a amazing job with ellipses.

I am always honest… but see above :)

regards

Clive

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Guys-is-c-hard-to-learn-tp5456434p5456434.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by sp1der

hi clive,

in addition to Ries' suggestion, just keep in mind that we are here to help in you development. you can send in your changes for us to review and test. many bug fixes are just one line or one word changes. to have some ideas, just go to github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD , click on history, and read commits with bug#s.

librecad has more than 100,000 lines of source code, but we can point you a place to start.

qt-creator helps, and my 6 year-old computer is good enough for daily development work, because librecad is kept lite and clean.

thanks,

dongxu
Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Subject: Guys is c++ hard to learn
To: dxli <[hidden email]>
CC:

Hi Guys

Also where do I start?

regards

Clive

http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Guys-is-c-hard-to-learn-tp5456434p5456434.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
Ries & dxli
Thank you both very much for your encouragement. To be honest I`ve thought about trying to learn some scripting for a while now, its certainly not something to do because "others" are doing it!
I do think in a fairly logical way anyway -thats probably why I like to use CAD, and I do like geometry. I remember at school all of the subjects I studied were all design and practical related. For me I`m not thinking "Big" it would be great if I could eventually be able to even just do little things -particularly for LibreCAD.

Ries > yes I think I will have a look at the QT creator stuff -now that seems a "Logical" place to start . I don`t know if there are any tutorials with it for beginners, but I`ll have a look1

Also I have seen this -it looks really good -what do you think?

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=16

Regards

Clive
Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator
Clive,

the website you mentioned below is a excellent place to start learning c++.

Ries

On Feb 5, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Clive [via LibreCAD] wrote:

Ries & dxli
Thank you both very much for your encouragement. To be honest I`ve thought about trying to learn some scripting for a while now, its certainly not something to do because "others" are doing it!
I do think in a fairly logical way anyway -thats probably why I like to use CAD, and I do like geometry. I remember at school all of the subjects I studied were all design and practical related. For me I`m not thinking "Big" it would be great if I could eventually be able to even just do little things -particularly for LibreCAD.

Ries > yes I think I will have a look at the QT creator stuff -now that seems a "Logical" place to start . I don`t know if there are any tutorials with it for beginners, but I`ll have a look1

Also I have seen this -it looks really good -what do you think?

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=16

Regards

Clive

http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Guys-is-c-hard-to-learn-tp5456434p5457664.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.
NAML