classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from New York , USA

redvan22
Hi,
Just a simple hobbyist looking for software to design components to be created in my home shop.

Have made too many costly mistakes in the past and have decided to seek out a non-expensive solution.

LibreCAD came up in a online search and so far it is intriguing, albeit the learning curve is a bit tedious. However, I'm an imperial person being both a carpenter and a machinist (with limited experience). Was very good in high school in my Mechanical drawing class but that was eons ago.

Millimeter is a bad word in my my mind but I can work with it from time to time.

My hobbies are carpentry, model steam engines, model railroading and a few others.

I enjoy creating things in my shop both for my hobbies and home repairs and this is where I need the help of software. Too many times I've sketched things out on a pad and started working only to find that I went wrong somewhere.

Hoping for a pleasurable experience going forward.

Michael
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from New York , USA

dxli
You can change your drawing unit to inches, for example: edit > current drawing options > unit
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
In reply to this post by redvan22
Welcome. Use the links in the https://librecad.org/ header to the Manual and wiki to help get proficient. Videos are really useful to actually see what people are doing rather than reading about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

redvan22
In reply to this post by dxli
dxli,
I have changed my drawing unit option to inches but I noticed something odd and maybe I still have settings to change but I can create a line of a given length ie: 6 5/8 but when I use the Total Length of Selected Entities tool, I get 6 only 6.

Have I missed something?
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
I think our parser can understand 6+5/8, but not: 6 5/8
There are proposals to support: 6"5/8

redvan22 wrote
dxli,
I have changed my drawing unit option to inches but I noticed something odd and maybe I still have settings to change but I can create a line of a given length ie: 6 5/8 but when I use the Total Length of Selected Entities tool, I get 6 only 6.

Have I missed something?
Reply | Threaded
|

redvan22
dxli,
I discovered that 6.625 works and I get the right measurement when using the tool.

Thank you for your quick and informative response.