Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hoping to use LibreCAD for Leather Craft Design

casaerwin
My name is Dale Erwin and I've just had a glimpse of an introduction to LibreCAD.  It is quite confusing trying to use old documentation which does not match the UI of the latest release.  I hope I can figure this thing out, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

I used to be a programmer, before I retired 18 years ago.  Things have changed a lot since then, but some things never change:  Programmers do not like to document.  It is like pulling teeth.  But if you don't do it, you will have no users, and with no users, there will be no need for your program and consequently no need for you.  

Another problem is that programmers and users do not speak the same language.

Reminds me of a cartoon poster I saw once of a Polar Bear lying in the snow.  The caption:  "Whenever I feel like documenting, I lie down until the feeling goes away."
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hoping to use LibreCAD for Leather Craft Design

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Dale,

I just added a manual to our wiki, which was generously contributed by our community member Nigel Vincent.
You will now find it there: http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php?title=LibreCAD_Manuals_Summary#LibreCAD_2.1
Hopefully this can clarify some things for you.

I agree with all what you write about programmers, documentation and not speaking same language. But that's how things go in community driven projects. There is no company LibreCAD, earning money to pay staff, to do all things needed to have a perfect, glamorous software including documentation and support. We do our best, but this is all done by community members in their free time, just for fun. That's why things are not always perfect and happen just in time.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hoping to use LibreCAD for Leather Craft Design

casaerwin
Thanks Armin.  I'm glad to see this forum is still active.  All the messages I see are a year or two old.

I am retired and have lots of spare time.  I would offer to participate in this project, but my skill set doesn't match any of today's platforms.  If I ever learn this thing, maybe I could help with documentation, but by the time I learn it, there will probably be a new version and I'd have to start all over.  I think that's another reason (but certainly not the only reason) programmers dislike documenting:  it's a moving target.  As soon as you get one release completely documented, a new release renders it obsolete.

I'll try that new document.  My thanks to the author.