How do I save a block without all other blocks?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How do I save a block without all other blocks?

karpsj
Hello all,

I am discovering that when I save a block from the block window, LibreCAD saves *all* other blocks as well.

Is there a way of preventing this?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How do I save a block without all other blocks?

LordOfBikes
Administrator
I'm not sure if I understood your issue correct.

What you describe is the intention of blocks. Blocks are created and stored in a table inside the drawing.
When a block is inserted, only a reference to the table is inserted in the drawing.
But it is possible to change rotation and scale of the block with each insertion.
So when you change a block in the block editor, all other insertions of the block will be changed too.

When you want to modify a block for different insertions, I recommend to explode the block in a free area of the drawing and then create a new block with different name to modify.

Find more details about block operations in our manual:
https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/blocks.html

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

karpsj
LordOfBikes wrote
I'm not sure if I understood your issue correct. What you describe is the intention of blocks. Blocks are created and stored in a table inside the drawing. When a block is inserted, only a reference to the table is inserted in the drawing But it is possible to change rotation and scale of the block with each insertion. So when you change a block in the block editor, all other insertions of the block will be changed too. When you want to modify a block for different insertions, I recommend to explode the block in a free area of the drawing and then create a new block with different name to modify. Find more details about block operations in our manual: https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/blocks.html Armin
Hello Armin,

My ultimate goal is to insert the block into a different new drawing (let's call it d02).

Here is what I do:

• In an older drawing (let's call it d01), I open the block that represents a machine part I want to use in a drawing.
  • When the block window opens, I save that. I see no layer, no other blocks in this block window.
  • I then go to the new drawing (d02) and import that block.
  • In d02, when I look into the block area, I see all the other blocks from d01...

Thanks!
  • Reply | Threaded
    |

LordOfBikes
    Administrator
    OK, then follow the instructions in the manual.
    Don't open the block, use the disk symbol in the block list to save the wanted block in a new file.
    Then  import this file with the block in the new drawing and make block modifications there.
    investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
    Reply | Threaded
    |

karpsj
    LordOfBikes wrote
    OK, then follow the instructions in the manual.
    Don't open the block, use the disk symbol in the block list to save the wanted block in a new file.
    Then  import this file with the block in the new drawing and make block modifications there.
    Worked! Great!

Thank you so much!