Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issue with printing to a Universal Laser cutter

TelaAdmin
First let me apologize for what i am sure will be a hard to follow post.  I am not a CAD person but was tasked with trying to understand/figure out an issue.  My company was using Draft Sight and it was working great for taking a .dwg file and cutting it using a Universal Laser Cutter (VLS 6.60).  Now that Draft Sight is going paid only they were going to look for other programs to do the same thing.  When taking a template that works prefect in Draft Siight  (and is a DWG file) and opening it in Libre CAD it opens just fine but when we try to print we get "The Printed document contains no data.  Are the printer drivers RAST/VECT pen settings correct?  Also, check the drivers engraving field size, or else the Rotary options."  We have tried chaging settings from VECT only to RAST only and RAST/VECT on the laser cutter but then the cutter does not react the same as it does when it cuts correctly.  Just as a test we even downloaded the 2019 trial of Draftsight that is pay only and now get the exact same issue even though it works with all the same settings in the free DraftSight.  Does anyone know what causes this and what i can change to resolve it?  Not sure if it is the program or the cutter since it has now happened in two different programs but works just fine in an older version of one.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issue with printing to a Universal Laser cutter

dellus
This post was updated on .
I don't know anything about CAM, but maybe I can lighten up things a bit. As you describe your problem it seems to me that the cutting device is adressed as a printer, using the device's drivers installed in the OS, and printing out of the CAD program, as if printing on paper. Is this right?
In LibreCAD you have to set the paper size (probably equivalent to the engraving field size) at Options - Current Drawing Preferences - Paper.
When printing go to Print Preview mode. Set the scale, probably 1:1 in your case, and move the white paper sheet to the right position under the drawing. If this is not properly set the drawing might be outside of the sheet, so also outside of the cutting area resulting in "The Printed document contains no data." Maybe this is where your problem lies. You might test on a paper printer first.
Regarding Draftsight old and new, maybe new DS is very different.

Edit:Stay in Print Preview mode when printing.