Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Joining or combining arcs, lines, etc.

1940LaSalle
FIRST: I hope this is in the right area. If this isn't the right area for "how do I..." questions, would a moderator please move it and let me know where it belongs? Thanks.

That said, I want to use LibreCAD for font design. As such, I'd want to generate closed contours made from line segments, arcs, and the like. In AutoCAD, there's the "JOIN" command that fuses two or more such entities into a single entity. I don't see how to do it in LibreCAD. Please advise.  Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Joining or combining arcs, lines, etc.

arquisa
Tools > Polyline> Create polyline from existing segments > click on the line segments and voila
Reply | Threaded
|

1940LaSalle
Boy, that was fast.

I'll give it a shot and advise how I fared. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

1940LaSalle
Turns out that wasn't quite what I had in mind. Let's say I draw a shape consisting of line segments, circular arcs, and / or elliptic arcs that intersect. What do I do to transform this collection of pieces into a single closed curve which may then have hatching applied?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Hatching does not work on intersected lines. The ends must meet.
Reply | Threaded
|

1940LaSalle
I get that from AutoCAD experience. Perhaps I should have asked how one joins lines/arcs/etc. such that the endpoint of one such item coincides precisely with the start point of the next.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
You can use Trim or Trim Two to join ends or cut overshots (intersections). But can be tricky with arcs/ellipse arcs. Sometimes doesn't work.
Reply | Threaded
|

fa201
The feature does not exist. It was already requested : https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/issues/1129.
Polyline works fine if you deal only with lines. If it is a mix of curves and lines then polyline cannot help.
Fabrice

French hobbyist interested in 2D design.
Reply | Threaded
|

=mike=
In reply to this post by 1940LaSalle
It doesn't work for me at all.  It says, "Choose one of the segments on the original polyline".  There is no original polyline: I'm trying to make one from existing segments.  When I click on a segment, nothing happens; no new instructions.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
It seems as if nothing happens, but if you click on a segment all consecutive elements will become a polyline. Cancel then and check with selecting again.
Yes, the instructions are misleading.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary S
In reply to this post by =mike=
You can also first select all the line segments to be joined and then click "Create polyline from existing segments".  It is easier to see what line have been selected.  All of the consecutive selected segments will become a polyline.