Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Librecad is a catastrophe

mitch
what a catastrophe.  I spent a day generating a orthogonal projection of a steel rule die I was going to send out for quotes.  I saved it but when I tried to reopen it, it was nothing but a jumbled mess.  I turned off the layer with the dimensions that had exploded in every direction and what was left was some fragments of the part.  The lines that were not minimal thinness were now giant wide fat blobs lying over the thinner lines.  Once the fat blobs were deleted the remaining thin lines were there of a few of the parts.  
I'm using a mac but I would suggest no one use Libracad if your work is important

I can be contacted if someone knows what happened

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Librecad is a catastrophe

dellus
How can someone know what has happened if he hasn't been looking over your shoulders. You could provide the file here for examination.
Reply | Threaded
|

mitch
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
What are the intended units? They are set to None. The drawing looks better if set to inches. Also set the size for text and arrows etc to inches equivalent, for instance text height from 2.5 mm to 0.1 ".
And perhaps set General Scale to 1. Or what is the intended print scale?
If this is not the right trail, I don't know yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

mitch
Thank you.  That improved things dramatically.  Some things are still off but better.  , how do you get the dimension to be in the center of the dimension line?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
If you just want to get the dimension text down to the dimension line you have to adjust the dimension line gap to inches also, 0.025". If you want to place the text into a gap in the dimension line, I fear this is only possible with Text alignment: Horizontal. But I don't know everything.
Reply | Threaded
|

mitch
I think I'm back up and running and have put off ordering 2D solid works.  

Why did my drawing not save with the preferences.  Why did it blow up when I opened it?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
There has been a case with an other user where about the same seems to have happened. Units were set to None instead of inches and General Scale was at 2.5, like in your case.
Have you made all of the drawing yourself in LibreCAD or have you imported elements from elsewhere? The thought is some unwanted incompatible stuff might have been carried in.
Can you reproduce this behaviour, does it always happen when you save a new drawing? Are you sure you have saved it with the right preferences? What is your LibreCAD version and your OS? Maybe there really is a bug which has to be investigated. If so, I'm not a coder and can't fix it, but it should be reported at github.
Reply | Threaded
|

mitch
I dont have any other cad programs.  I only drew one other part previously but I didn't dimension it.  It seems the dimension layer was the where all of the problems happened.  I'm running Mojave 10.14.4 and Version: 2.1.3
Compiler: Clang 8.0.0
Compiled on: Sep 22 2016
Qt Version: 5.6.1
Boost Version: 1.60.0
System: OS X 10.14

Reply | Threaded
|

mitch
How do I post a new problem?  When I click on new subject it says I'm not allowed to post

My new problem is I made a part and when I try to dimension it the dimensions are 1/10 the size of the part?

Reply | Threaded
|

mitch
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by mitch
Current Drawing Preferences - Dimensions - Lenght factor should normally be 1, as it's 0.1 it shows only 1/10 the size. This is a function to manipulate the dimension value for special purposes only.
Also General Scale should be 1 and the other dimension elements size be adjusted to inches.
Staple_plate_mod.dxf

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
In reply to this post by mitch
mitch wrote
How do I post a new problem?  When I click on new subject it says I'm not allowed to post
Where did you post?
There are 2 limited sub forums, where only maintainers can create new posts, Help Wanted and Announcements. Also the main page is protected, users can only post in sub forums.
If you have any issues, you should ask in LibreCAD-user sub forum. There all registered users can create new posts.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

mitch
In reply to this post by dellus
victory, thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
There was an issue with permissions, sorry for any inconvenience.
Permissions are restored, but the cause is still unclear.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution