Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Librecad on vintage WinXP PC

Eberhard Kunze
I am using the program on a WinXP PC which is not (for its health) connected to the web. On reinstalling Librecad, i couldnt get the program to run. It always calls the browser, wants to connect to the web, and if it (naturally) doesnt succeed, tells me the installation wasnt correctly finished, and quits. This is with the most recent build, and i tested it down to 2.0.9. This is very frustrating, more so, as I have had it wonderfully running on this same PC since long ago.
Regards,
eb

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Librecad on vintage WinXP PC

dellus
I have just tested to install LibreCAD on WinXP SP2 disconnected from the web, there was no problem at all.
The versions 2.2.0 rc from 201 on don't run on XP anymore, but there are extra XP versions which will be provided for a while on: https://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/Windows/NightlyBuilds/master.xp/LibreCAD-XP-Installer-2.2.0-rc1-257-gca256068.exe/download
Otherwise I have no idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
It is correct, that the installer opens the browser to show the donation site.
This results in a 404 error in the browser without internet connection.
But this shouldn't influence the application install process. Calling the browser is the last action of the installer, when the application is already installed.

Have you checked the installation folder?
Does it exist after setup?
Are there any files or sub folders?

If you still have issues, can you post a screenshot of the message which says that the installation failed?

Otherwise, you can try a portable version from https://portableapps.com/search/node/librecad
They don't need an installation.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Eberhard Kunze
In reply to this post by dellus
Thanks for your effort. Unfortunately, the version
LibreCAD-XP-Installer-2.2.0-rc1-257-gca256068.exe
gives the same problem.
Please see my answer to LordOfBikes for more detail.
Many Regards,
Eb

Reply | Threaded
|

Eberhard Kunze
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
The OS on this PC is WinXP SP2 (registered), and the CPU is AMD 1.14GHz.

The file LibreCad.2.0.0-en-win.exe (27.517kB of 2017-11-20) installs to a
LibreCad.exe  (6.372kB of 2013-12-29).
Though on installation it also calls the browser, the browser can be closed,
and the LibreCad.exe in the directory LibreCad can be run without problem.

The tested files
LibreCad-XP-Installer-2.2.0-rc1-gca25068.exe,
LibreCad-Installer-2.2.0-rc1.exe,
and the versions 2.1.1, 2.1.0, 2.0.11, and 2.0.9, which are downloadable
presently from https://librecad.de.uptodown.com/windows/versions,
after closing the browser from the 404, end the installation, and the
created directory seems to contain all necessary files, but the respective
LibreCad.exe cannot be run, but bring up the message
            "Diese Anwendung konnte nicht richtig initialisiert werden
              (0xc000001d), klicken sie auf "OK" um die Anwendung
              zu beenden"
and close.

Thank heavens I did not delete the previously used LibreCad.2.0.0-en-win.exe,
so I have a working installation.
I would like to add a remark concerning "Donate". I did this on another website
some years ago and at once ended up with being grabbed by Paypal, and though
I quit at once they seem to have hooked into my PC and are able to find me out.
I wonder, why it has become so uncool to present an account number and even,
if located in the US, to have an account in Europe, to receive an official bank transfer.
More so, everybody seems to suppose, that PCs cannot be run unless connected
to the web :-).
Many regards,
Eb

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Maybe some remains from the 2.2.0 installation (in the registry for example) blocks the execution of newer versions. I would try out the portable version as suggested by LordOfBikes. They are self contained.

I wonder if your machine may be too old indeed for newer LC versions, missing necessary functions from the CPU.  
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Eberhard Kunze
I have just checked: On an even more ancient Toshiba laptop 500 Mhz and 256 mb RAM I have LC 2.0.3 running from portable, so hardware does not seem to be the problem.

Maybe your Windows is spoilt somehow.

Edit: I just realized your 2.0.11 must be later. I have tested 2.1.3 portable on that old laptop and it doesn't start at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Searching for this 0xc000001d error message, the tenor is that the hardware is too old.
Some solved this issue with BIOS updates, but success is not guaranteed.

I'm not that long involved in Windows deployment, but I can imagine, that the 2.0.0 executable was build with Qt4, what makes it run on your hardware.
Newer ones, at least since 2.0.5, are build with Qt5 which may use features, that older hardware don't support.

So I recommend to stay with your running 2.0.0 version.
If you really need a newer LibreCAD version, you can try to build 2.1.3 with Qt4 on this XP box. But I can't really say, if this will work at least.
For code newer than 2.1.3 Qt5 is mandatory and it will not build with Qt4.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I have tried another experiment. On that old 500Mhz 256 MB RAM laptop I ran a PuppyLinux upupbb32-light live CD and tried to install LC 2.1.3. It complained there was not enough storage space to install. I had to set up a 512 MB Pupsave file, which is a slow harddrive RAM substitute.
I was rather convinced it would not work, as it probably was an obsolete hardware issue, but installation went through and - dadaa - LibreCAD 2.1.3 came up and worked!
So if you still want to use your old PC for a more modern LibreCAD and are willing to play with Linux you could give this a try. You can run PuppyLinux in parallel to Windows XP without wiping that. If you are interested I can give you more information.

Reply | Threaded
|

Eberhard Kunze
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
The only variable in this game is the LibreCad version. If the old 2.0.0 runs, but the newer ones don't, then it is reasonable to assume, that something in the newer versions has/was changed. The 2.0.0 has already Qt5.
I looked at the sources of Qt5, and, by jove, a compressed volume of about 500MB does look somewhat like the tower ob bable. As does their EULA :-). But I'll try the portable version, too.
Regards,
Eb

Reply | Threaded
|

Eberhard Kunze
In reply to this post by dellus
Please do look at it from an end users viewpoint: If You have an arrangement of several PCs, each with its own peripherals and tasks, would you want to rebuild the room, just because somewhere a checkmark was changed?
I have a PC with ubuntu on it, too, and LibreCad on this didn't give a problem. Recently I came upon a wonderful piece of music, which fits perfectly into our present: Va, pensiero (Nabucco, Chorus of ... Slaves" :-).