Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Line widths specified in mm, but rendered as imperial

Argo123
How to modify entity line width while working in imperial units?  Line widths are shown in mm.
If one chooses 0.13mm as the attribute, the line width is rendered as 0.13 inches, which is NOT what I want!  I want 0.13/25.4, or 0.18/25.4, etc.

Curiously enough, the print preview doesn't show any line broadening.

wrong line width

BTW export to png defaults are totally unusable as well.

I don't understand why the default line widths are such that they print extremely faintly.  They are fine on a screen, but I don't have a computer in my workshop, nor would I wish to expose my computers to all the oil and grease.  So I use a print.  It usually takes several tries at it because the LibreCAD defaults are quite far off.  

How can I carry over drawing preferences from one drawing to the next.  There does not seem to be an equivalent menu structure in Application level preferences to Drawing Preferences.  It makes me not want to use the tool, if each an every time I use it one has to re-figure out how to do this.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Line widths specified in mm, but rendered as imperial

aman
This post was updated on .
Many questions and rants, if you don't need metrics, check Options => Application preferences => Defaults, and change units to Inch.

You could also make a template, where are the settings you use most often.
Reply | Threaded
|

Argo123
Sorry about the tone.  A little frustration getting through.

Options => Application preferences => Defaults, and change units to Inch.  My settings ARE Inch.
But line widths in Attributes ARE only in metric.  That's ok.  But the lines are NOT rendered properly.  If 0.18 mm is selected, shouldn't the user expect 0.0070866" line width?  Why am I getting 0.18".  What I am poorly expressing is the defaults are not correct for Imperial.  IF the units would be interpreted as inch, then there is no appropriate selection in Attributes to make besides 'default', all other choices make extremely thick lines which are not in a scale that makes the drawing easy to read.

I have done drawings in metric mode.  The line widths behave correctly.  It would be useful, and appreciated if Imperial drawings had appropriate defaults for line widths, or the metric widths were converted to imperial units.  Most materials are in imperial units here.  It's a fact of life.  So some drawings have to be done that way.

Reply | Threaded
|

Argo123
In reply to this post by aman
Good idea on using a template.  How does one create a template?
Reply | Threaded
|

aman
In reply to this post by Argo123
I understand your frustration

I live in all metric country, have not used Imperial units anywhere, but I've read many examples where mixing those can bring very bad results.

Is the Current Drawing Preferences set to mm?

You might get better result if you export to pdf instead of png.

And check you are not in Draft mode.

Reply | Threaded
|

aman
In reply to this post by Argo123
Reply | Threaded
|

Argo123
In reply to this post by aman
Indeed, mixing units causes all kinds of problems.

Is the Current Drawing Preferences set to mm?  Wow, that's the problem!  The units were set to None.  Once I set the units to Inch, everything behaved as expected.  Not sure why the units were None.  That's not a good default.  Well, main issue solved!  Thank you so much, aman.

Thanks for the tip on export to pdf.  I only did it for cutting and pasting here.