Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Loading Autocad dwgs into Librecad.

wynnjones
Over the years I have prepared several floor plans and power diagrams of my home, and other technical dwgs including dwgs of my Model T Ford, using a very old 32 bit version of Autocad, passed on to me by the partner of a man who had died.  I have now converted some drawings from dwg to dxf with a converter to load these into Librecad. most transfers show the same errors. A typical room, a rectangle, shows different dimensions, top and bottom of the rectangle. Is this operator error or a cross function anomaly between three packages? Is there a way out of this dilemma please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Loading Autocad dwgs into Librecad.

dellus
Hard to tell without having a look on the files. You could provide a sample file here (More v - Upload a file), an original dwg and a converted one. I remember there has been a similar case here in the forum, where the cause was lying in unfortunate dimensions settings.
What OS and what LibreCAD version do you use?  
Reply | Threaded
|

wynnjones
The present OS is Windows 10, although the dwg drawing attached was drawn some years ago - can't remember which OS version. the dwg attached would have been drawn on Autocad 2000. The dxf drawing was converted from the dwg file. Thank you for your reply - I hope I have attached the files correctly.
16_Abbotsford_Rd_Floor_Plan_2006_.dxf 
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
The dwg file was not included.
The dxf: the readings of the dimensions are different because the definition points are not set exactly. You can see this when you select the dimension, the def points are shown as blue squares. So it's not a matter of the dimension settings as in the case I have mentioned.
There is a weird behaviour of the snap action if Free Snap is on, the other snaps don't react or are very sensitive, you have to be very near at the wanted point, and it's not clear whether you have caught it or not. This may be the reason why the dimensions are a bit off if you have made them newly in LibreCAD.
If I open the dxf in a different CAD than LC, snap works properly.
Also peculiar is the objects are reluctant to get selected by clicking on them.
So there is something wrong, but sorry, I can't tell what it is.
Have you tried to open the dwg in LibreCAD directly? How did you do the conversion? You may try again and send the dwg, for further experimentation....
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by wynnjones
I have to correct myself, you don't only have to be very near to the point for snap to work properly, but you also have to zoom in a lot. So I got the suspicion it has to do with the distance in units or the extent of the drawing. As it's in mm you have an extent of about 20000 x 11000 units roughly with this house. Maybe that's a problem for LC? When I scaled down the drawing by factor 0.1 (to cm) or 0.001 (for meter) the snap issue improved.
But when I made a quick new drawing in mm with a lot of rectangles, about the same complexity and extent, there where absolutely no troubles with snap. Strange.
Maybe this is a hint for a coder to recognize the problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

wynnjones
Thank you for your reply. I will try your Zoom and snap suggestions. Sorry about the dwg file - I will try again. On another converted dwg file, I noticed the bottom line and RH side line of a room (Rectangle) did not join up - this would have been a cause. Maybe the translation has some bugs. I don't want to take up your time further, unless you wish to proceed - I am willing to assist. I am an 85 year old retired engineer who likes to play with CAD. I used DWG-DXF Converter to get dwgs into Librecad. Yes, I did unsuccessfully try to load dwgs into Librecad. I will re-draw a few dwg dwgs in Librecad for practice - behind my wife's back! Just been told to get off that machine!
With best wishes, Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
We have some things in common: I'm an 85 yr old retired analog engineer who is now using Windows 10 for the past several weeks and I've had problems with loading old AutoCAD LT2007 dwg drawings into LC. I've also had problems when i converted them first to dxf, it didn't seem to make any difference.

What I've found that helps is to open the dwg (or converted to dxf) file and then go through the "drawing preferences" as if I'm setting up for a new drawing. This clears up some of the drawing errors but there may still be some dimensions disconnected from where they should be.

I also had a lot of problems with LibreCAD's snap, see my "USERS" thread under "LibreCAD working with windows 10?" Maybe there is a compatibility problem with Windows 10 that the developers haven't seen.

I don't seem to have those problems with QCAD Pro but it does also have similar problems with old dwg loading and the same corrections occur when "preferences" is used. I've started using QCAD Pro more now because it seems to behave better with mouse inputs than LibreCAD. Sometimes LC just starts ignoring my mouse inputs.

Oh, and yes my wife will say when are you going to get off the computer? It's a small world!

Trikester