Making arrays?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Making arrays?

donstauffer
In the CAD I used to use before it got ridiculously expensive, I could create rectangular or polar arrays of objects.  Say I wanted to create an array of small circles, 16 of them , in a four by four array. I could then draw one circle, and select the rectangular array function.  When I told the function the number of repetitions and the distance between points, it would then create the array.

I also used the rectangular array a lot.  Say I wanted a circle with lines from the center (like for a clock face). I could draw a line to the 12 o'clock point,  Then, I could select the line, and then the circular array function. I could type in the number of objects (lines) and the angle.  I could then indicate a center and it would draw that many lines at the requested angle.

I have used the search engine in the manual and did not find an appropriate hits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Making arrays?

dellus
LibreCAD doesn't have this feature. For rectangular array as a workaround you can use Move/Copy with multiple copies in two steps.  
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
For rectangular arrays use the block method.
- draw an entity
- make it a block
- use Modify -> Properties and select the entity
- in the Properties windows you can enter number of X/Y entities and their distance
See https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/blocks.html#from-an-existing-drawing

For circular arrays use the rotate methode.
- draw one entity
- use Modify -> Rotate
- select center, reference and destination
- in the Move window check Multiple copies
- enter number of copies (e.g. 11 for a clock, 30° rotation angle)
See https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ref/tools.html#modify

Maybe not that comfortable, but with some experience surely faster than drawing one by one.

Armin
Reply | Threaded
|

donstauffer
I have been using the copy and place, but it sure is a lot slower than an array function.

I would suggest it would be a good addition to a future release.  It has been years since I last coded (I was a FORTRAN guy).  I am trying to learn some of the newer languages, so it will be awhile before I can help with creating such a function, however.