Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Manually Modified Dimension Text Reverts when Paper Size Selection is Changed

ErikH
I'm using LibreCAD to prepare a floor plan, and to show dimensions for the length and position of interior walls (I'll attach my .dxf file).

13_first_floor_plan_example.dxf

It appears that normally, dimension text is placed to the right of vertically aligned dimension lines, reading down, and placed above horizontally aligned dimension lines, reading left to right.

LibreCad appears to automatically shift dimension text that is too long for the space associated with the dimension line to one end of the dimension line, rather than centering it on the dimension line.

It is possible to highlight the dimenion, and then manually move the dimension text (for example, something like "9'-5 1/2") to another position for good appearance and readability of the drawing.

However, there appears to be a problem: dimension text will "jump back" to the default position assigned by the program if paper size is changed in "Current Drawing Preferences".  (For example, usually I plan to go to a print shop to print out my drawings on Ledger or Tabloid, 11x17" paper, but in a pinch, I sometimes print out a drawing on 8.5x11" paper.)

And it appears that manually positioned dimensions "jump back" to default positions simply by opening the Current Drawing Preferences dialog box for dimensioning.

I tried one work-around: for dimension text I wanted in a different position:  I used the Preferences tool on the default dimension and insert a "space" in place of the text, and then create a MText line with the dimension text, and place it where I want it.

This caused unpredictable problems with the overall size of the drawing.  (I suspect this might be an easy programming fix.)

My 2nd work-around, was to use the Preferences tool for the dimensions I wanted to change, but put a period, ".", in place of the dimension text.  The period is usually not too noticeable on the drawing, and I can create an MText label with the dimension text, and place it where I want.  This method so far appears not to change the overall drawing size.

Q1. Is there a way to fix the bug so that replacing dimension text with a "space" does not change the overall size of the drawing?

Q2. Is there a way to fix the bug so that manually re-positioning dimension text is not "undone" when changing the paper size?

Q3. Is there a way to specify the relative position and alignment of dimension text?  (Perhaps this is coming in a future release of LibreCAD.)

Q4. In trying to pose this as a question that could be understandable, I tried the 2nd work-around described above, and I think that might work for me.  Does anyone have other options?

Thanks much.  (I'm really liking LibreCAD - I'm learning more and more how to use it efficiently.)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Manually Modified Dimension Text Reverts when Paper Size Selection is Changed

dellus
What do you mean by "overall size of the drawing"? What effect does this have?
At which dimensions in your file have you applied a work-around? Space or period?

What version of LibreCAD is the drawing made with?
There have been improvements with dimension text positioning made in V 2.2.0 rc, also with interaction to paper format.

But generally, LibreCAD is not yet as smart and configurable in this respect as advanced commercial apps.

Yes, LibreCAD forgets manual dimension overrides after something else has been changed, haven't noticed yet it happens when paper format is changed. Tried with your sample, but changing paper size didn't alter drawing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Manually Modified Dimension Text Reverts when Paper Size Selection is Changed

ErikH
I'm using LibreCAD V 2.1.2.

You make a good point: my description "changes the overall size of the drawing" is poor.

A better description of what happens: after I create a drawing, I use "za" to center and fill the rectangular floor plan in the drawing window.  Then, I use my work-around to modify the "label" portion of dimension text: by using the Properties tool, selecting each dimension text I want to manually place, placing a "space" in the "label", and then duplicating the text with MText, and placing that exactly where I want.   After I do that, and enter "za" - the floor plan no longer fills the drawing window, and is not centered in the drawing window.  And, the floor plan will not be centered and will not "fit the page" in Print Preview.

LibreCAD appears to forget manual dimension  overrides when I cange the "Paper Format" selection in "Current Drawing Preferences".

BUT, my work-around by placing a "period" (".") in the label (by using the Properties tool and selecting the dimension to be manually modified, and entering a period for "label"), and then duplicating the dimension text with MText, is working really well.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Yes, now I can confirm your experience. Inserting a "space" seems to produce an invisible connection with absolute zero 0,0. As if it is within the drawings boundaries. Strange.
The same behaviour is in the development version 2.2.0 rc, so no improvement. I think it's a small bug not worth investing much effort to cure it. We can live with it.
But LibreCAD forgetting manual dimension overrides is a nuisance which deserves being worked at. I have experienced this too, but can't remember the abouts or reproduce this. It might help a developer to fix it if exact circumstances are found out and described. Again for me changing the paper format selection didn't cause a manual override loss.