classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Move from QuickCAD to LibreCAD

mcintoshbear
Hello,

I have been using QuickCAD Release 7 (an AutoDesk/AutoCAD product) for over 20 years on an aging XP laptop. I have numerous 2D drawing, many with dimensions that I want to move to LibreCAD.

I am trying to figure out what is the best file format to save my existing QuickCAD files in so that I can import and use them on LibreCAD.

By default QuickCAD saves files in .CAD format which I have been unable to open in LibreCAD.

LibreCAD does open the .DXF files I have moved but I have not been able to modify them. The Grid function does not appear to work.

QuickCAD has the following File Save options:

AutoCAD 2000 DXF (*.DXF)
AutoCAD 2000 Drawing (*.DWG)
AutoCAD R12/LT2 DXF (*.DXF)
AutoCAD R14/LT 98/LT 97 DXF (*.DXF)
AutoCAD R14/LT 98/LT 97 Drawing (*.DWG)
AutoSketch (*.SKF)
Autodesk Drawing Web Format (*.DWF)
Bitmap (*.BMP,*.DIB)
JPEG (*.JPG,*.JPEG)
Windows Metafile (*.WMF)

Which should I use to preserve as much information/data as possible in the move from QuickCAD to LibreCAD?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. My search for QuickCAD did not result in a find.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Move from QuickCAD to LibreCAD

fa201
I would try the highest version first and downgrade if it is not working. Otherwise you can check for tips or converter in this post : https://forum.librecad.org/Converting-DraftSight-file-to-LibreCAD-file-DWG-to-DXF-td5717213.html
Fabrice

French hobbyist interested in 2D design.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by mcintoshbear
LibreCAD can save and thus open dxf up to V 2007, so AutoCAD 2000 DXF is recommendable. But just try out which version works best. Not everything may be compatible. Avoid dwg.
You can open dxf's but can't edit them? Strange. Can you provide a sample here (More v - Upload a file)?
Reply | Threaded
|

Zed4xyz
In reply to this post by mcintoshbear
I'd try DXF format (never had a problem with it) with different versions.