Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New CAD-CAM-CNC recruit

Micromet
Hi, I'm a newbie to CAD, CAM and CNC work. I am an amateur guitar builder and also do scroll-saw, lathe and milling machine work - up until now freehand in all areas. However, I want to start CNC surface routing of the top surface of guitars to create art patterns in the top few millimetres and to extend the scroll-saw work into 2.5D thus creating a 2.5D profile to what are currently just intricate cutouts. I have just bought a desktop CNC router/mill/engraver for this purpose. I have always been a free software advocate from the start (Richard Stallman was still in shorts back then) so LibreCAD is my starting point on the way to creating G-code for my CNC machine - for this I am using LibreCNC as my machine operations software. I have asked the LibreCNC forum for a recommended CAD to LibreCNC path - a request that I place here as well. Do libreCAD experts have a preferred CAM package to convert CAD files to G-code. There is a huge list of possibilities but I would prefer for someone with experience to harden this list down to a few possibilities that play well between LibreCAD and LibreCNC.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New CAD-CAM-CNC recruit

Micromet
Sorry, in my inaugural post I got carried away with "Libre". Of course my CNC machine operator software is LinuxCNC not LibreCNC.