classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No dimensions of an electronic board design found

ChrisO
Hi
I was looking for dimensions, well, mounting holes placements of a Hard Kernel computer board. Downloaded the .dxf files and loaded into LibreCAD. I expected to find there all dimensions of the board. I don't see any.
I must be missing something really fundamental, as I cannot imagine how to build a such a thing without exacts measures.
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not familiar with CAD and manufacturing process.

Thanks for any help.
Chris
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No dimensions of an electronic board design found

dellus
It is well possible there are no dimensions placed in the drawing, as you can measure everything exactly or place dimensions yourself if and where you need them.
If only dimensions text is missing but the lines are there it probably is a matter of settings.
Reply | Threaded
|

ChrisO
But, if a .dxf file is used for PCB production, what I've just learned, how does it work?
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
The post processor creating the program for a CNC, which mills the PCB, uses the coordinates of the entities itself. Therefor the drawing must be in real world units.
Human readable dimensions would just disturb the process.

If you want to check the dimensions, you can, as @dellus said, add dimensions yourself in a working copy.
Or use the Measure tools in LibreCAD to measure points of interest.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

ChrisO
That was the bit I was missing, thank you Armin!
Thank you both for your quick and helpful answers!

Regards,
Chris
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
No problem, you're welcome!
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution