Snap not working during Commands that use selection (fillet & Trim)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snap not working during Commands that use selection (fillet & Trim)

ecsproull
First when drawing entities Snap is working fine. However, during commands like Fillet and Trim I'm continually having to click around until I hit an entity that I'm trying to select. Is there some trick to this or is it broken.

OS Windows 11 although it reports as Windows 10.

Version: 2.2.0
Compiler: GNU GCC 12.2.0
Compiled on: Dec 17 2022
Qt Version: 5.12.11
Boost Version: 1.75.0
System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Any help greatly appreciated. Ed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snap not working during Commands that use selection (fillet & Trim)

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Welcome Ed!

Snap is not needed for this kind of tools.

Watch the command line title (Command:) and the mouse icon on the bottom status bar when tools are active.
There you see hints what is the expected next action, resp. the current left/right mouse button functions.
This helps to understand the workflow of tools and in which state it currently is.

For Fillet, after selecting the first entity, just move the mouse near the second entity and you will see a preview appear.
Try this with some 90° lines and a valid, big radius, because sometimes the result is not obviously visible, depending on parameters and zoom level.
When you see the preview, the fillet is created when you left click at the current position.

For Trim there is no preview, but there is no need to hit the entities exactly, there should be a generous tolerance.

For many tools it also depends, where you click the 2nd or following entities.
The results may differ, if you click the one or the other end or side of a line or a different quadrant of an arc or circle.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snap not working during Commands that use selection (fillet & Trim)

ecsproull
Thanks, I think the zoom factor was getting me here. I was drawing a building  and didn't find an architectural option, so it was rather zoomed out when I was trying. I eventually figured out that zooming in helped. I'm one of those poor souls who no longer has a license for AutoCad and I've been a user of that since it came on 5.25 floppy in the early 80's. Ohhh, open source and C++, That give me ideas. :) Again thanks.