classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Units issue

radman
Hello,
I am a new user to LC.  I like the program so far, but I have an issue with the units.
I select the units as "inches" but when I draw anything or dimension anything it is always in mm.
How can I get the drawing to display inches and work in inches.  For instance, when using the Command Line I have to specify locations in mm even though I selected inches as my units.

Any ideas on how to correct would be greatly appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Units issue

dellus
Please explain more what is happening.
If you have started a drawing with mm or open an existing one, and later switch to inches, a line of 10 mm length then will be 10 inches. It's not recalculated automatically. You have to rescale the drawing then. Internally LibreCAD just thinks in uniform units, the real world units are more or less just a naming.
Reply | Threaded
|

radman
I open a new drawing, and then make sure all the parameters are correct before I start drawing.
Under "Options - Current Drawing Preferences" I select Units as "inches".

However, all displayed units on the drawing are in mm.  This happens when I draw an object, select it and dimension it, or use the Command Line.

It seems like specifying "inches" as my units doesn't make any difference.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In what way does it show to you the units are still mm?
Reply | Threaded
|

radman
I assumed it was in mm since the only way to get anything to display in a reasonable scale is to specify large values for radius, coordinates, etc.
I tried saving the drawing with the correct units, but that didn't seem to help.

I also attempted specifying a rectangle with coordinates 0.5,0.5 and 10,7.5 and then zooming to that area, but the grid pattern is too large.  I was thinking I could specify a drawing area that way, that would be the appropriate size to work in inches and decimal inches, but it seems too cumbersome.

Regardless of what I try or draw, in Print Preview is appears to take up the whole page.  So I am not sure what is going on with scaling, or how to draw an object in inches and dimension it so it appears correctly on the display and on a print out.
Reply | Threaded
|

radman
I tried drawing a rectangle with coordinates 0.5,0.5 and 10,7.5 and then used auto zoom.  That displayed the rectangle as if it were a drawing area, and the grid pattern was small enough.
However, when I drew a circle on the "page" with a radius of 2 inches and then used the dimension tool it displayed a radius of 0.0787.  I tried the same thing with a rectangle and got similar results.
I don't know what units it is using to display the dimensions, but it is not inches.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by radman
I assume you want to print on Letter format, 11x8.5". OK.
What scale shall the drawing be? What extents do the real life objects have?
Or do you for the beginning just want to play around to learn?
Then begin with an intended scale of 1:1, draw a rectangle 0,0 to 11,8.5 as the frame for the whole Letter sheet. In Print Preview you then can set Scale 1:1 and Center to page. In V2.1.3 don't use use Fit to page, as this keeps a free safety margin around the objects. In 2.2.0 you can use it.
In 2.1.3 there are issues with inches and US paper sizes, if possible use 2.2.0.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
What are the values in Current Drawing Preferences - Dimensions - General Scale and - Length Factor? Should be 1.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
You may try this:
mech_inch_1_1_letter.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

radman
Thank you for all of your help on this problem.

I have been playing around with some things and I think I got it to use the correct dimensions.

I will take a look at the other settings and make sure they are correct.

Again, thank you for all your help.