4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

User Manual

Gary S
This post was updated on .
The LibreCAD user manual (Development version) consists of:

1. Reference section – is simply an explanation of each commands (or tools) available in LibreCAD.  The reference provides a brief description of the command and what parameters are necessary.  It is the dry, boring information important to be able to gain an understanding of the purpose of each command.  There is no explanation of how to use any particular command or the circumstance that would require it.  Those explanations are /will be documented in the 'User Guide' section.
e.g. Line -> Rectangle {DrawLineRectangle}: Draw a rectangle by assigning the points of two diagonally opposite corners. 

2. User Guides – or ‘How to Guides’, are intended to provide a the steps necessary to perform a particular task.  These task are generic in the sense that they can be used in any type of drawing or circumstance.  They are the ‘building blocks’ of completing drawing.
e.g. Printing Guide

3. Other things – Other types of documentation are to provide an understanding or background information.
e.g. About / Overview or appendices

Tutorials - ‘Tutorials’ provide step by step examples on how to create drawings for a specific purpose.  A tutorial doesn’t require a full understanding of the commands used, but provides sufficient detail to allow the user to complete the drawing.
e.g. Drawing a carport truss or a circuit board
I've placed a separate page on the wiki for the tutorials.  Since they general seem to be task specific, there is a potential for there to be a lot of them, and it would be onnerous to update them with each release.  Also, having on the wiki allows link to links to videos, sample drawing ,etc.

See this section for the current status of the User Manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: User Manual

duncan.lithgow
It looks like we have an undocumented feature for defining the length of the next line segment: https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/issues/1210

* enter your first point
* write down your distance e.g. "100" (in the command line)
* then hold "ctrl" key and press an arrow key (left, right, up, or down). According the arrow direction you will draw a vertical/horizontal line with the given length.

Who has access to and works on the 2.2 docs?
IRC: duncan-nz
Twitter: @BIM_DK
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary S
This post was updated on .
I've already added it to the development version of the manual:  
   https://librecad-docs-dev.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ref/fundamentals.html#drawing-and-editing-entities  (See "Using the Keyboard")

As a FYI, I follow a release of the application with a release of the manual to keep things aligned.
Reply | Threaded
|

duncan.lithgow
Brilliant! I've added a link and closed the feature request.
IRC: duncan-nz
Twitter: @BIM_DK