Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WORK LOST!!! PLEASE HELP!!

NewLibreUser
I was working on a new drawing for a couple of hours.  A couple minutes in, I saved my file as a .dxf.  As I worked, I saved about every 5 minutes by clicking the Save button in the toolbar.  When I was done working, I clicked Save again and closed LibreCad.  It did not ask me if I wanted to save.  When I returned to continue working, I opened my dxf file and found that the only work that my drawing was in the state from when I performed the original save, about 5 minutes in.

1.  Why did this happen if I was "saving" so frequently?
2.  Where is the autosave directory?  Can I recover my work?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WORK LOST!!! PLEASE HELP!!

NewLibreUser
By the way, I saved in the 2007 dxf file format, if that helps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
Hi kpeery3

Look in the directory where your LiberCAD files are saved.  Then find the file in question.  For example test.dxf.  You should see a file named test.dxf~ and/or test.bak.  Copy one or both of these files and rename it to something like test1.dxf or test2.dxf.  Maybe (stress on the maybe) your correct drawing will be in one of these.  Also, check for a file named Untilted.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

NewLibreUser
In reply to this post by NewLibreUser
I think I've realized what happened.  I opened a new drawing just as a test and looked at my block library that I had created.  I think that all those times I was clicking "Save", it was saving my drawing to my most recently edited block.  So it would appear I've ruined my block library as well.

As anyone else experienced this?  Is there a simple way to recover?
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
A block is a .dxf file.  If that directory is where your file got saved just move it back to your drawing directory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
In reply to this post by NewLibreUser
What happened to kpeery3?
Reply | Threaded
|

NewLibreUser
In reply to this post by Philip
Are drawings not also dxf?

All of my latest work was saved as a block, so I inserted that block into a new drawing and used "explode".  I think I've more or less fully recovered.   I guess I need to be more careful when saving.

Thanks for the help Phillip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
Yes, drawings are dxf and blocks are dxf.  So, if you saved the drawing in the block library it is still just a drawing.  However, when clicking on the save icon (a floppy disk) the file will not be saved as a block.  It takes some deliberate actions to create a block so I'm not sure what happened to your file.  Anyway you seem to have everything under control.  Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.