Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cadastral mapper

barfalloverme
LibreCad Forum:  I'm a newbie to Librecad but not to Autocad. What I love about LibreCad is - It's FREE! I'm now retired and don't want to spend $200. a month for cad. "Cadastral Mapping" is a euphemism for "boring maps used to tax the crap out of property owners" I've drawn a lot of these in Librecad and am trying to merge them together in one large drawing by inserting them as blocks. It worked for a while but now it crashes everytime I give the incoming block a reference point. Is there a better way of doing this? I tried copy/paste but it didn't work. Do I need more memory? Another question I have is will AutoCad be able to open a LibreCad drawing? I'm using windows 10 and Librecad 2.1.3. Thank you in advance. Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: cadastral mapper

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Welcome @barfalloverme!

A first try could be to use latest LibreCAD version 2.2.0-rc4-23-ge3fae3dc. it is in release candidate state and safe to use.
Find it here: https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/releases/tag/latest

There is a known issue in latest version, with nested blocks, which are not loaded correct.
So this may be a dealbreaker for now. With nested blocks I mean blocks containing blocks.

Generally, this sounds like there is a real bunch of entities involved.
This is probably not a matter of RAM, but LibreCAD's capabilities to handle big files.
Its organization of entities is not optimal and it is known to become really slow with big files, but I never heard about crashes with big files.

Concerning copy/paste, this should usually work. Maybe you missed to set a reference point after copy command? Then paste does nothing.
- use COPY command
- set reference point
- switch to other drawing
- use PASTE command
- set insert point

AutoCAD should be able to open LibreCAD DXF files, but I can't test this.
I remember warnings from Autodesk TrueView, that LibreCAD DXF files are not created with AutoCAD, but iirc, they are opened.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

barfalloverme
Thanks for the prompt response LordofBikes,
I tried copy/paste again and on the third try it worked although every entity was pasted in as white in color. I selected each one with properties and they reverted back to their by-layer color. The same fix I use with disappearing text. Changing the color is much better than crashing so I can work with this. I tried to install the new version of LibreCad but every try was hit with a response of "error opening file for writing" - don't know what this means.
Thanks, Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

barfalloverme
To be more specific, when I try to load:
   LibreCAD-Installer-2.2.0-rc4-27-ga430a803.exe

I get this:
  Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreCAD
  Extract: D3Dcompiler_47.dll... 100%
  Can't write: C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreCAD\Qt5Core.dll

Can anyone translate this for me?
Thank you, Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
That means, that the installer can't extract a needed library during the setup process.
And this leads me to the assumption, that you had the currently installed LibreCAD 2.1.3 open during setup.
This locks the mentioned file and prevents to overwrite it.

So make sure, that there is no LibreCAD instance running and try to install the new version again.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

barfalloverme
This post was updated on .
LordofBikes...
You are right oh master translater. Once I got past all the warnings from security about how dangerous your site is, the new version is installed. It is fast & awesome.
Dave