classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

convert for foot to inch scale

rbees
Ladies & Gents

I have been using LC for about 6 months now.  Thanks to some how-to videos I found online I have gotten fairly good at making prints for general home building.

When I started I set the scale to foot and decimal.  I have since learned that Architectural will give me feet and inches in the dimensions but the scale has to be set to inches not feet as most of my drawings are.

Is there any way to convert the drawings that I have already done from the foot scale to the inch scale so that I still have my dimensions correct?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: convert for foot to inch scale

dxli
We will implement unit support in the next release.

For the time being, if you draw in feet, you may try to scale manually:

1, Modify -> Scale
2, Ctl-A or other ways to select all entities
3, Continue;
4, use isotropic scaling factor 12 (to convert feet to inches)

rbees wrote
Ladies & Gents

I have been using LC for about 6 months now.  Thanks to some how-to videos I found online I have gotten fairly good at making prints for general home building.

When I started I set the scale to foot and decimal.  I have since learned that Architectural will give me feet and inches in the dimensions but the scale has to be set to inches not feet as most of my drawings are.

Is there any way to convert the drawings that I have already done from the foot scale to the inch scale so that I still have my dimensions correct?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

rbees
dxli wrote
We will implement unit support in the next release.

For the time being, if you draw in feet, you may try to scale manually:

1, Modify -> Scale
2, Ctl-A or other ways to select all entities
3, Continue;
4, use isotropic scaling factor 12 (to convert feet to inches
This is not working for me.  I have an end view drawing of a 30x40x12 Pole Barn.  When I open it and follow your instructions it does indeed scale the building but the dimensions after the scaling are incorrect.  For instance, the wall nailers/girts were drawn with the units set to foot and decimal and spaced   2.5   feet apart.  After the above steps and changing the units to inches and architecture the wall nailer/girt are 0'-1 3/16" apart.  That would be great if I wanted to use the drawing to build a 1/12 scale moc-up but that is way way down on the list of things important things to do on my list.

The steps I took
1. open drawing
2. Modify -> Scale
3' Select all
4. Isotropic Scale  12
5. Edit current drawing preferences
6. Set dimension main units to inch and length to architectural

Is there a step I missed or perhaps a better order?

FYI I am using v2.0.0rc3 as installed from the Debian Jessie/Sid 64 repos fully patched as of last night.

On a different note, I am having a second issue and if you think it is actually a LC issue I will open a new topic for it.  I have a Brother MFC-5895CW printer which will print on tabloid  (11x17 paper).  When I try to print to tabloid I am unable to get it to print centered in the page.  Almost like xy is not being moved to the corner of the tabloid paper but staying where it is for Letter paper.  When I go to the advanced printer settings I can change the paper and print size but after the print job the print size has reverted to Letter although the paper size has remained tabloid.  I suspect that this is a brother printer driver issue as it has not been update since 2010 and not a LC issue but I am posting it here FYI.  To work around this problem I have a win7-vm that I have installed LC v2 on and it will print to the tabloid sized paper just fine.

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

rbees
OK,

Thanks to Gary Fox over at create-and-make.com I figured out how to change it.  I had the steps wrong.

The proper order should be

The steps I took
1. open drawing
2. Edit current drawing preferences and set the precision as high as possible.
3. Edit current drawing preferences and set dimension main units to inch and length to architectural again setting the precision as high as possible.
4. Modify -> Scale
5. Select all
6. Isotropic Scale  12
7. Reset the precision to your desired amount.

Thanks
Shalom

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve Mann
Is there an update to how to do this in the latest version?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
It should work the same way in the latest version. I am not sure it is necessary to switch to the highest possible precision during the process.
Does it not work for you?