Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

maybe I'm crazy but I am really really sure it's just the way this app is built

machv5
Maybe I'm nuts I am on disability for ptsd and a head injury so it is very possible. I am shocked that pretty much every cad program i have tried to use both paid and free ones have the most convoluted task intensive ways of doing the most simple of things that I would have thought would have been incorporated into these programs. For instance just the process to have a back ground layer that you can then add a layer to then trace the image through the use of spline then once I've traced half that image to then copy and paste it mirrored the grab and move the pasted mirror till it's where you want it is something I am unable to do there is some extra steps with blocks and such or something weird i cant select the lines I've drawn and if i zoom using my touch pad i can lose the image in the zooming to the point I've been unable to ever find it again. Creating a block makes everything vanish never to be seen again. I have daren and re drawn the half image instead of the whole so it will be perfectly symmetrical once mirrored but using the mirror command leaves me stuck at selecting the item because it refuses to select it trying to select all selects nothing dragong across the image also selects nothing at all. Seriously wtf is with these cad programs that simple things have to have insanely complex systems in place and something that costs a fraction of the cost not counting libre cad obviously but training would likely cost a fortune. It's to the point where I want to take a hammer to one of the developers and force them to code the program to just simply work like any of an hundred other applications for stuff like select  copy and paste. Why on earth make it harder than that if I'm just trying to draw a damn batarang I don't care about it collapsing and killing people it's a 2 d image I am trying to create then extrude it to a 3d one then use a cam program to turn the toolpaths (Likely just as complex a process) to g code for my hobby grade cnc router. I should not have to take a course in cad cam to be able to use a $300 machine. But it is looking that way. I've also had problems saving then opening a drawing and the stuff I drew and image in the background have just ceased to exist. It's driving me mad. I am not stupid and I throught computers were meant to simplify tasks I'm seriously looking towards making a rig that allows me to use the jog function with a pencil I can use to trace a picture with manually and it just make my templates that way so I can then trace those to metal i then cut and make stuff with. So am I crazy or dumb that I have missed whatever setting it is I need to use so it works like photoshop does?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: maybe I'm crazy but I am really really sure it's just the way this app is built

flywire
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: maybe I'm crazy but I am really really sure it's just the way this app is built

dellus
In reply to this post by machv5
It will never work like photoshop. There have been attempts to develop more intuitive cad apps, but none was successful, at least I don't know of any. Or if simple, you will be stuck to some predefined possibilities, and what you might need will not be present. Many things one believes to be simple and straightforward turn out very tricky to be defined strictly logically. You can't learn CAD on the fly, you will have to dig into it. It may not be worth the effort for a simple seeming task.
It might be easier in photoshop, things are more fuzzy there, no need to be exact. No good for engineers.

You can ask for help here on the forum guiding you on the way, step for step. A general rant is of no use.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Addendum: - to take a course in cad cam - why not, if you can afford it and there is an opportunity, I can only recommend it strongly. And you already have had the thought...
I remember when I made my first encounters with CAD, I had purchased a student's version of AutoCAD 12 and tried to learn it on my own, with the help of the included printed manual, my God, it seemed to me so complicated, slow, unintuitive, I didn't make much progress. Later then I made a course, not AutoCAD though, sponsored by Labour Office, that made a very great difference! You get it explained by a person, you can ask and get an answer immediately, the person can see directly what you are doing, see the problem, correct and aid you. Experience of success, contact and co-working with other students, fun. It was a good time.
Reply | Threaded
|

LCWulf
Yes. I learned the basics of Solidworks in an in-person instructor-led class that was sponsored by the local authority. It was the best way to get off the ground. They also provided a copy of a 'Level 1' book that you could refer to once the class was done.

I'm not a Solidworks wizard but I can use it to do useful things; so the class paid off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gromit
I'm new to the forum and just saw this post.  I want to assure you, you are not alone.  I am a longtime AutoCAD LT user with a fair knowledge, but certainly no expert with ACLT.

I remember when I started using ACLT I could not believe how difficult it seemed and how odd I thought the GUI was - it made no sense to me at all.  Fortunately, I had coworkers around that helped me through the initial learning curve and after that I was mostly able to teach myself with help now and then.

Now retired, my company no longer pays for that subscription and I'm using LibraCAD.  The GUIs are similar, but not the same and I find myself having to relearn and struggling to remember - this is not ACLT!  Once in awhile I type a command and oops, that's an ACLT command, but things are beginning to come together now.

Hang in there, when I started using LibraCAD I uninstalled it, then came back a few times.