classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

problems converting splines to polylines

symbiotic elements
Hi,

Newbie to CAD and librecad, which I'm loving, but ohhh the learning curve, yet, loving the possibilities.

I've been successfully converting multiple lines into polylines but they do not convert my splines into polylines... the mapping I am doing combines polylines and splines which I need all as a closed polyline as some of them will be hatched. all the ends are touching.

for example in the yellow and orange sections, I could convert with no issues the straight lines into polylines but the curves made with spline would not be included in the conversion and I cannot get it hatched.

Not too sure where to go from here as from my understanding it is possible, or am I mistaken?

using : Version: 2.2.0.2
Compiler: GNU GCC 13.1.0
Compiled on: Jul 29 2023
Qt Version: 5.12.11
Boost Version: 1.75.0
System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: problems converting splines to polylines

flywire
Would a GIS like QGIS be a better option than LibreCad? CAD software will draw lines with attributes but the polygons will not have any attributes, unlike a GIS which will have attributes on the polygons each side of the line.
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by symbiotic elements
currently, spline is not well supported by our hatch, which needs lots improvement on features.

One workaround to hatch splines could be exploding them first:

1. Select a spline;
2. Tools > Modify > Explode.

Then, the spline is converted to individual line segments, and hatching is supported.

This is not ideal, but it should work.

symbiotic elements wrote
Hi,

Newbie to CAD and librecad, which I'm loving, but ohhh the learning curve, yet, loving the possibilities.

I've been successfully converting multiple lines into polylines but they do not convert my splines into polylines... the mapping I am doing combines polylines and splines which I need all as a closed polyline as some of them will be hatched. all the ends are touching.

for example in the yellow and orange sections, I could convert with no issues the straight lines into polylines but the curves made with spline would not be included in the conversion and I cannot get it hatched.

Not too sure where to go from here as from my understanding it is possible, or am I mistaken?

using : Version: 2.2.0.2
Compiler: GNU GCC 13.1.0
Compiled on: Jul 29 2023
Qt Version: 5.12.11
Boost Version: 1.75.0
System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Reply | Threaded
|

symbiotic elements
Thanks for the response. I might have misunderstood, I thought spline could be converted into polylines and then made into one continuous closed polyline which could then be hatched... I am wrong, am I ? (seems so anyway )
Reply | Threaded
|

symbiotic elements
In reply to this post by flywire
You're talking a foreign language to me there lol, I looked into QGIS, which looks great, but not sure it is what I am looking for, but I'll give it a shot. I still feel LibreCAD is a better option overall for what I use for design work... thanks for introducing me to those mapping software that I was not even aware of... a new tool, a new toy and a new learning curve
Reply | Threaded
|

symbiotic elements
In reply to this post by dxli
somehow this doesn't work for me, when I try to explode a spline it keeps together and doesn't separate into individual lines
Reply | Threaded
|

symbiotic elements
In reply to this post by dxli
I've been trying to explode splines, which I thought pretty straight forward and a simple feature but it is not working. Is this a Librecad problem ?
I've tried the same feature in Qcad and had no issue whatsoever applying it. I find the interface of Librecad much clearer than Qcad (also free compare to a small fee for qcad), but this has slowed my work drastically. I also see with a very quick overview that Qcad seems to have more features, like the ability to delete part of a line, which I still haven't been able to work out in Librecad.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Indeed, 'Spline through points' does not react to 'Explode'. Maybe just nobody has discovered this up to now and it is a bug. Or it is not possible in this variant. It works with the simple 'Spline', defined by control points.

To delete a part of a line in V. 2.2.0 you have to cut up the line at the desired points with Tools - Modify - Divide and then delete the cut free part.

The upcoming V 2.2.1, now available as a release candidate, has a lot more new features, including cut out features.
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In LibreCAD, spline is implemented to use approximate line segments, so a spline can be exploded;

Splinepoints is totally different, and it's actually implemented as 2nd order bezier, so no approximation or line segments in use.

Conceptually, splinepoints should support hatching natively.
dellus wrote
Indeed, 'Spline through points' does not react to 'Explode'. Maybe just nobody has discovered this up to now and it is a bug. Or it is not possible in this variant. It works with the simple 'Spline', defined by control points.

To delete a part of a line in V. 2.2.0 you have to cut up the line at the desired points with Tools - Modify - Divide and then delete the cut free part.

The upcoming V 2.2.1, now available as a release candidate, has a lot more new features, including cut out features.
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by dellus
No.

Spline is implemented using line segments as approximation.

Splinepoints is a totally different thing. It's implemented as other ellipses in that splinepoints uses solid algebra of quadratic curves, so it's not by line segments, and not intended for explosion.
dellus wrote