Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what is the future of LibreCAD?

jtm2020hyo
1) actually exist a BIM and Machine Learning competition, LibreCAD will join the battle?
2) do you guys plan to add a Python API? with this API PyFlow might be your main Data Flow Programming software
3) LibreCAD 3 is planning a competition with AutoCAD?
4) LibreCAD 3 will have more options to Lua? I wish a AutoLisp support.
5) OpenDCL is searching for help to add support to other platforms like LibreCAD, but they need your help, please consider OpenDCL as an option to work together.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: what is the future of LibreCAD?

R. van Twisk
Administrator
jtm2020hyo wrote
1) actually exist a BIM and Machine Learning competition, LibreCAD will join the battle?
3) LibreCAD 3 is planning a competition with AutoCAD?
LibreCAD does not try to battle or be a competition. A competition with AutoDesk is also pointless.
LibreCAD should do what it is good at and that is being a opensource 2D technical drawing tool.

jtm2020hyo wrote
2) do you guys plan to add a Python API? with this API PyFlow might be your main Data Flow Programming software
The plan was always available, just not the resources. For LibreCAD 3 the reason I used Lua was only because I knew lua better than Python and I needed something I could quickly play with instead of yet another learning curve.
Everybody is free to implement PythonFlow and add the python interface.

jtm2020hyo wrote
4) LibreCAD 3 will have more options to Lua? I wish a AutoLisp support.
4) Same as with 2. if there is an open source version of AutoLisp that runs on all platforms you, me everybody could implement it!

jtm2020hyo wrote
5) OpenDCL is searching for help to add support to other platforms like LibreCAD, but they need your help, please consider OpenDCL as an option to work together.
I quickly looked at OpenDCL and that seems windows only and that rules out Linux and OSX users, I am not sure how that is helpfull for the community. Quickly checking the forum, they also don't have any means of ports to Linux or OSX. I guess all it needs is manpower, and lots of it?
Reply | Threaded
|

jtm2020hyo
you are doing a great work guys, but I hope in the future may consider add support for Python API and 3D drawing.
Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator
I am pretty positive Python will come.

3D drawing will be left to FreeCAD and BrlCAD.
Reply | Threaded
|

wabeckley
I am convinced that the future of LIBRECAD should be on C ++, QT, GTK, OpenGL, it has a good and very friendly interface, there is a project in www.solvespace.com since it is very light and 3D, www.salome-platform.org It is very heavy, I was testing BRL-CAD on an i7 7gen with NVidia video and it is also very heavy. I just want LIBRECAD to evolve to 3D being light and if possible to be able to simulate solid and fluid objects, with good integration for CNC.
Reply | Threaded
|

jtm2020hyo
Sound many work, for this is that I still think that LC should migrante to FreeCAD.As mentioned our LC devs they have not many motivation and the project look abandoned, if LC join forces with FreeCAD could do LibreCAD popular because FreeCAD is increase their user thanks to Autodesk and LibreCAD have all tool that we need.
Reply | Threaded
|

LCWulf
In reply to this post by R. van Twisk
Agreed. IMO LibreCAD should concentrate on being a really excellent 2D drawing/draughting tool. Forget 3D.
Reply | Threaded
|

PatrickNC
I have to agree that a great 2D product would be the most valuable to a lot of people.
For my purposes, Librecad has been the right product. I'm not a professional design guy, just a guy with a product idea I'm trying to get on paper. If I can get good 2D drawings of what I have in mind, that's great - that's as far as this will go.  At the next level, some expert in this stuff will redo all my work in the fanciest 3D software. Perfect!

And while CAD is new for me, I have a background in business financial software development and commercial product creation.  I know the effort involved.  Keep making the 2D product better!

Reply | Threaded
|

DWBrown
In reply to this post by jtm2020hyo
I've got to agree with the ones saying keep it as a 2D program.  The majority of the CAD work I do is making cutting patterns, I've quit using other programs because they start adding 3D bits and things get messy and the program ends up with a lot of functions that I never use.
Reply | Threaded
|

zamtmn
In reply to this post by jtm2020hyo
Unfortunately, the future of such complex projects is very vague. If the project has not find an active community or has lost it, it is very difficult to develop such a project with small forces of an enthusiast(( imho
Reply | Threaded
|

caddylect
In reply to this post by R. van Twisk
Librecad is a gift for those who need to draw something technical occasionally and are not pros for whom it's worth subscribing to a several thousand dollar subscription. The program is extremely streamlined. To make a "belly store" out of it would be misguided in my opinion. Nevertheless, i would wish for something myself:
- some functions should be able to do a bit more, e.g. trimming on several objects.
- xref functionality
- multiline, that means double line.
- program your own plugins via text editor, so that everyone can customize it according to his/ her wishes.