Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

All my suggestions here

claus82
Hi everyone, this message is for developers.
I thought enough about the tools that users need to have a complete professional cad.
In my opinion those are the improvement that LC needs. Considering the user's point of view they are not that many.
In order of priority they are:
- FIX AS MANY BUGS AS POSSIBLE: this is perhaps the most important topic and I am pretty sure you are alredy working on that; I have seen many bug messages into the forum, if I only I were a programmer I would have helped.
- ADD A PROPERTY EDITOR: at this time I find useful a property editor, in order to simplify several operations, like modify attributes to multiple entities of different layers, give the same scale to all hatches and so on. Well, just try some other cad to understand what I mean.
- IMPROVE FONTS AND EDITOR: Add the ttf support to text editor and to dimensions, add the bold/underlined/cursive options. People that work in architectural sector know that layout is everything and stick fonts do not suit many customers (customers pay so we have to satisfy them).
-In Edit> Current Drawing Preferences > Dimensions I suggest to replace the writing TICK SIZE with the words ARROW TYPE or something similar, because if someone does not know Librecad that writing is not clear and will confuse him/her.

If this furhther advice is reasonably easy to realize, or the time is enough to add more “luxury features”, I have some other suggestions (they are in order of priority too):
- Create an option to keep fixed extension line to dimensions;
- Insert an “add a table” feature;
- Increase the types of dimesions arrows,so the user can choose more (example circle, dot, open square, and so on);
- Keep the hatch format .dxf, but in case you should decide to switch hatch format from .dxf to .pat, I suggest to create a kind of hatch editor, like the cxf editor.

Those are the features that I find would transform LC to a real quality cad program.
Just tell me what do you think
Bye
Claudio
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
CT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: All my suggestions here

CT
Sounds to me like you want everything that QCAD has...but for free -yes/no?

I think it will take forever for that to happen!
Reply | Threaded
|

cantcode
Sound like he wants LibreCAD to be the best open-source 2D CAD software out there.
It may take forever but it will be the best open-source 2D CAD software out there.
CT
Reply | Threaded
|

CT
Maybe...well see. I'm not disagreeing here, only suggesting that if people are willing to give lots (and lots and lots) of their own time without being paid for it, then of course it may happen - but if not then it will take forever.

In the meantime QCAD community edition is completely free and will no doubt get upgraded periodically! So my guess is that LibreCAD will probably always be playing 'catch up'.
We all need to earn a crust and live and unless people with programming skills come forward, then I'm afraid my prediction will be true about LibreCAD.
The only people I've noticed regularly adding to the development of LibreCAD is
dli
Armin
Rallaz
and a few others!

Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
In reply to this post by cantcode
@ Gooey
@ cantcode

Well, just to explain my motivations: I always used openoffice (now I use libreoffice) and I did never regret any lack of functions. I created my old thesis at the high school and the one when I graduated. I've always been happy of that, then I think that there are no reasons to exclude improvements to librecad too, I am confident in "our" developers.
For example: consider that LC has the possibility to create hatches without any problem because they are in dxf format, just create and move to the relative folder. To to that in other cads we have to be almost a programmer to create a damned .pat format or download a .pat editor; isn't this a good LC upside?
I know that we need resources, but I think to write down suggestions before they disappear.

@ Gooey
p.s. now every cad has a property editor, and I guess that everyone here would be happy too to find one in LC!

Best regard friends
Cla
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
In reply to this post by CT
"The only people I've noticed regularly adding to the development of LibreCAD is
dli
Armin
Rallaz
and a few others!"

unfortunately you are right...
Bye!
Reply | Threaded
|

cantcode
claus82 as I am not an architect and don't use CAD software very often, can you please tell what you mean by "property editor" ? I searched for "autocad property editor" and fount this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRTRxsjap8Q
But I think that's not what you are talking about.
"... like modify attributes to multiple entities of different layers..."
Modify->Edit Entity Attributes ???
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@cantcode
Well, the one in the video is a feature that I cannot define very well, it seems to be a kind of block library of LC, but i'm not sure about it. Anyway, I am putting 4 images taken from a google promenade
Just look here to understand what I mean! There are autocad, draftsight, nanocad, and of course qcad, to link this reply to what Gooey said.
property_editors.zip

@Gooey
Sorry I forgot to reply to all your questions!
-I do not want that librecad is like qcad, but you will agree with me that there are essential features to put in LC like property editor and fonts selection option in editor and in dimensioning, besides BUG FIXING that has to be done first.
My personal aim with LC is to show to people two drawings made with LC and another commercial cad and hear "I cannot see the difference". Honestly LC has some features less than other cads, but I can proudly say that with font feature we -at least I- can reach this goal, in fact LC features are enough to create all entities -beside the fonts- and the results speak for themeselves.
-Free/commercial is not important, because there are a lot of free softwares that I could use instead of LC, so the problem would not even exist.
But.
This is a serious project (and we can surely acknowledge that) and I am treating as it deserves to be treated, seriosely. Even if I smile a lot.
WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY (advertising quote )

So, see you friends and have a good time!
Claudio
Reply | Threaded
|

cantcode
Looking at those images I see that all of them has the ability to change:
Layer
Color
Linewidth
Linestyle
this can also be done via Modify->Edit Entity Attributes
in draftcad and nanocad you can change this properties/attributes  in the sidebar AND at the top at the toolbar
autocad (label properties) and nanocad (USC stuff??? and table/plot stuff??) have some properties I don't know.

Do you want to have more attributes in the "Attributes" window of LibreCAD (which?) or do you just want the attribute/properties window to be shown all the time when drawing?
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@cantcode
Well it depends... I don't remember when, neither where, but I remember that Editor property is a blessing in complicated situations.
Maybe I can explain one of them, but it's a bit long.
Ok, let's suppose that you need to apply a font to all texts that have many different fonts...
You have 4 texts:
text 1-kochimincho
text 2-simplex
text 3-romand
text 4-wqy-unicode
Let's suppose that you want to apply to all the 4 writings the "standard" font. Using the property editor you can do it at once. In the example you have just 4 writings, so you may find the example useless, but when you are operating on works that have 50 or 60 writings you realize that this is a useful tool.
You can apply the same theory/method when you need to modify many hatches at once and so on  (for exapmle scale, hatch name, angle...).
I hope you understood!
Bye!
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

cantcode
thanks for the example.
Now I think I understand what you mean.
(-> editing of attributes/properties of multiple entities)
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
You are welcome!
I thought also a direct pdf exporting tool, but there are a lot of pdf printer for Windows, Mac and in Linux, so it would be perhaps useless, anyway unnecessary.
Bye.
Cla