Dashed line scaling not working well when using inches. Rays appearing during Zoom.

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dashed line scaling not working well when using inches. Rays appearing during Zoom.

Jim Yuzwalk
I'm using LibreCAD 2 beta 5

I'm working on a drawing with the 'Current Drawing Preferences' set to inches with scale at 1:1.  The drawing is of a small part, about one inch max dimension.  The part is embedded within a 8.5" x 11" drawing - title block, border etc., as shown in a3.dxf.  Basically I took the a3 template and scaled it to 1:1 for inches such that it would represent an 8.5" x 11" drawing.

The issue I'm seeing is that dashed lines, i.e., hidden lines, are poorly rendered in both screen display and print.  If I zoom in on the part, the dashed lines, 'dashed (small)', look great.  But If looking at the entire sheet, or looking at a print preview, the dashed lines are quite poorly rendered -- they aren't uniformly dashed.

Furthermore, there's a very strange artifact when zooming in and out, from time to time.  Projection Rays are generated originating at the upper left hand corner of the zoomed window and terminating on various points of the drawing.

These ray lines seem to appear once the drawing is zoomed in to a point where some of the upper leftmost portion of the drawing is out of the viewing window.  If I use the vertical scroll bar, while zoomed and rays showing, I can make the rays dissapear once the upper left corner of the drawing is fully within the viewing window.

I can provide the drawing and screen shoots if requested.

Best regards,

Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dashed line scaling not working well when using inches. Rays appearing during Zoom.

Jim Yuzwalk
I should have mentioned that I'm using Windows 7.

I also noticed that the zoom shortcut key, Cntrl + is not working.  Yet, Cntrl - does work as expected.

Can Cntrl 0 be set to 'auto zoom' - FireFox and Internet Explorer and Chrome all abide by this, i.e., they give the default zoom level when Cntrl 0  is pressed.

Best regards,

Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dashed line scaling not working well when using inches. Rays appearing during Zoom.

Jim Yuzwalk
In reply to this post by Jim Yuzwalk
I just noticed that the Rays can be made to dissapear if the 'Draft Mode' icon is selected.  You can toggle the rays on and off by toggling draft mode off and on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Yuzwalk
I figured it out:

The rays and the not so nice looking dashed lines were due to importing a block into the drawing.  I selected all items that were somehow part of the rays - i.e., I deleted any drawing entity that had a ray terminating on it.

I also found that the dashed lines were part of a much longer dashed lines.  When I selected the hidden layer, which the dashed lines were on, and then selected 'edit layer' and checked the 'Help layer' check box, the hidden part of these longer dashed lines suddenly appeared.  Basically the dashed lines went through the drawing to + and - infinity.  I deleted them, and redrew them.

Problem solved.

All of this was due to block importing.

Isn't there an easy way to copy a section of one drawing and pasting it into another drawing?  I can't seem to get the copy and paste functions to work between drawings.

Best regards,

Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

Heyze
Hello Jim
Jim Yuzwalk wrote
Isn't there an easy way to copy a section of one drawing and pasting it into another drawing?  I can't seem to get the copy and paste functions to work between drawings.
Why is it always the little things that get us stumped

Copy and paste between two drawings, okay here goes:

In drawing 1 choose either copy/move or from Edit> copy then select what you need to copy.

Now...when you have finished your selection...Hit the enter key (this is the important bit, with most modify sequences in LibreCAD). Now look at the prompt bar...it reads 'specify reference point', so select a reference point and all done.

In drawing 2 paste the drawing in...
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Yuzwalk
Hi Heyze,

Thanks for the tip.  Hitting the enter key was the step I was missing for the copy and paste.

But, I'm still noticing that the dashed line problem persists.  It has something to do with the 'Help layer' functionality. I can toggle whether a layer will be printed by selecting the layer's printer icon in the 'layer list' panel.  That's when the infinitely long parts of the dashed lines appear.

When the dashed lines are rendered -- without the infinitely long portions -- the part of the dashed line that is displayed is a fragment of the infinitely long dashed line.  That's why it looks odd from time to time depending on the zoom level.  I'm drawing these dashed lines using the 'Snap on Entitiy' feature.  

The dashed lines render such that there is no line showing at the beginning or perhaps the end of the line.  The dashes aren't scaled properly to fit within the object that contains them.

The best way to see it is to draw a rectangle and then place a dashed line within it going from one side to the other.  Depending on the zoom level, it may or may not look the best.  I hope this helps explain what I'm seeing...

Nice rendering of dashed line between two horizontal lines...
|---   ---   ---   ---   ---|
|                                 |

Not so nice rendering of dashed lines...
|---   ---   ---   ---   |
|                             |

By the way, I can see the merit of showing / hiding the 'Help layer' lines especially when constructing an object.  Nice feature.  And, dashed lines render beautifully within the viewing window - the dashed line begins and ends correctly at the window's boundary no matter what the zoom level.

Best regards,

Jim