Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dimension lines take on default pen setting on last layer in Layer List

Jim Winkler
I discovered that the dimension lines use the default pen settings of the last layer in the Layer List. At least on my setup: 2.2.0. The attached file Test1.dxf has five layers: 0, Dims, Parts, Parts cl, and Parts hidden. The dimensions are all on the "Dims" layer. However, the dimension line type (at least for my release candidate 2.2.0 version) uses the "Parts hidden" layer's pen settings. In this case, the dimension lines are red dashed lines, not the continuous black/white lines specified with the Dims layer.

A work-around is to add an additional layer, "Z-Dims" for instance to make it the last layer, set the default pen settings the desired settings, then save, close, and reload the file, the dimension lines then take on the Z-Dims default pen settings.

Test1.dxf

This is a non-released
Version: 2.2.0-rc1-142-ge38b7088
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.9.1
Compiled on: May 17 2019
Qt Version: 5.4.1
Boost Version: 1.53.0
System: Windows (Pro 64)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dimension lines take on default pen setting on last layer in Layer List

dellus
Confirmed for the drawing you provided with LC 2.2.0-rc1-155. But shows properly on LC 2.1.3 and other CAD apps.
And I could not reproduce the error when creating a new drawing in LC 2.2.0 rc1, it worked as it should.
So, is your drawing based on a file coming from a different app? Or maybe it is screwed up somehow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Winkler
Now I'm not able to recreate it. I created Test1.dxf with LibreCAD from scratch w/o any template. I had that problem show up in several of my drawings - which were created w/o any template from scratch with LibreCAD. They did have a large number of elements before the problem showed up. I'm not sure what specifically led up to the dimensions problem appearing. I'll see if it shows up again and if I can recreate it.

Cheers -Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Winkler
In reply to this post by dellus
If you select the "Parts hidden" layer on Test1.dxf, then do one of the following, the dimension line will take on the "Parts hidden" or currently selected layer parameters:
* move the dimension - e.g. drag any part of the dimension.
* use the stretch command to stretch part of the drawing and include the dimension.
* use the move command to move dimensions. e.g. moving the whole sketch over a few units.
* use the rotate command to rotate dimensions. Rotating other drawing items optional.

A correction from what I said earlier, the dimension lines do not take on attributes of the last layer in the layer list. They take on the currently selected layer.

- edited post and added the fix below -
It seems that one can 'fix' the problem by:
1) selecting the current layer to "Dims"
2) selecting the dimensions. Selecting the rest of the sketch should not be a problem.
3) use the move command and set "Number of copies" to "Delete original".
The dimension lines should take on the attributes of the "Dims" layer again.

This is again with the following version:
Version: 2.2.0-rc1-142-ge38b7088
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.9.1
Compiled on: May 17 2019
Qt Version: 5.4.1
Boost Version: 1.53.0
System: Windows
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Winkler
flywire: Thank you for your post. I don't understand what I am looking for on the manual page. -Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
Sorry, that was too terse. I was suggesting the better guidance you are offering for the feature is best put in the wiki rather than a thread where it is unlikely to be found.

btw - The wiki has very good practical examples not contained in the User Manual for LibreCAD 2.2. Unfortunately, the Dimensioning and text section of the wiki needs an update because the current LibreCAD version is slightly different.