Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help! Old DXF and LibreCAD won't show 2 most important layers

BrianP
Hello and thanks in advance for the help.

Over 20 years ago I designed my house. I don't remember what CAD tool I used but I did save all the drawings in DXF and DWG format.

I need to access those drawings again. I can't find the CAD tool I used (I have a paid version of TurboCAD from back then but it won't open my DXFs).

LibreCAD opens the DXF but the two most important layers - external and internal walls - do not show up. All other layers display fine. The only difference with those layers than I can see is that they are double lines (to show the thickness of the walls) and they are on the layer list as coloured (though I have another layer which is also coloured and it shows up fine.

I have tried all sorts of things with the layer manager but they just don't show up.

I know they are there because I can open the file with "FreeDraft", another quasi free CAD package. I've tried saving the files as DXF in FreeDraft in case the file format is borked but it doesn't make a difference.

I would use FreeDraft if necessary but it 30 Euros and I have not idea if it is any good. The help file doesn't work, it doesn't seem to be supported and it seems the company is mostly German language and I don't speak German.

So any help? I'd be happy to post the file if anybody is interested.

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help! Old DXF and LibreCAD won't show 2 most important layers

dellus
You can provide the file here with "More v" - "Upload a file" for testing. Does FreeDraft show the contents of the trouble layers? Maybe converting/resaving the file with Teigha file converter helps. Also worth trying with the dwg file version, if you still have it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help! Old DXF and LibreCAD won't show 2 most important layers

BrianP
Dellus

Thanks for that! It took me a while to find the Teigha file converter because I think the name changed to ODA File Converter. I downloaded it from here https://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/oda_file_converter in case anybody else goes looking.

I had several iterations of the design in various formats and it seems the DWG -> DXF 2018 worked fine.

LibreCAD crapped out when I tried to open the DWG file directly.

So I think problem solved!