Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help With Printing Full Scale (1:1)

Weldo
Hi, I'm trying to make a template to help me with marking and drilling a bunch of holes in a piece of wood.  I've made the drawing to the dimensions I need but when I try to print it out, it does not come out to scale.

The drawing is made at 7.25" square with a row of evenly spaced holes around the perimeter.  When I go to print preview I set the scale to 1:1 but the square prints out at about 7.0625".

When I click "Fit to Page" the scale becomes 1:1.03665 and the square prints out at 7.3125"

I don't understand what's going on here.  When I set the print preview scale to 1:1, should not the printed drawing measure exactly what it measures on screen?

I've set my "Current Drawing Preference" to Letter size paper, that's what my printer uses.  Units are set to "Inch" both in "Current Drawing Preference" and "Application Preference".

What am I missing?  I've included the file below.

Marker_Stand_first_tier.dxf

Thanks for the help!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help With Printing Full Scale (1:1)

Weldo
I just tried exporting as PDF and printing at 100 scale as per a different thread.  I still had no luck.  When I print out my drawing, it still measures 7.062" when i check it with a scale.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weldo
I'm at my wits end here.  I've played around with this for TWO hours!  I exported as PDF and shared it with my sister and she printed it from Adobe Reader DC with success, but I cannot seem to replicate her success.

I opened up my drawing, a 7-1/4" square, went into print preview, selected 1:1 from the drop down, clicked "Center", then exported as pdf.  It shows up in DC like it should.  I go to print, select "Actual size" and when it prints out it measures 7-1/16".  What is going on?!
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
At first look it seems there is something wrong with the printer driver settings. As it is printed a bit smaller than it should be it looks as if it is printed to within printable area. But you say you have selected "Actual size". Really? Can you set 100%?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Weldo
I now have printed it out myself and it was the proper size. So it's definitely a printer settings issue.
And your sister managed to print the pdf right, which came out too small on your printer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weldo
Thanks for the help.

Yes, the file was printed correctly from my sister's computer.  From my computer, with the same printer, it comes out slightly small.  Even when set to "actual size".  I'll take a look at my printer driver, maybe do an update.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weldo
I just tried to print with a different laptop.  It worked properly.  I didn't have to export as .pdf.

From the print preview screen I selected 1:1 then checked the "fixed" box.  Then while still on the print preview screen, I clicked on the print icon in the tool bar.  The drawing printed out properly to size.

This leads me to believe there's is indeed a miscommunication between my other computer and the printer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weldo
Ok, I got a positive result!

I ended up downloading and installing the latest driver for my printer.  I recently got a new laptop and never installed the printer driver.  Even without the driver the computer recognized and was able to use my current printer, so I never bothered with the driver.

I removed the recognized printer from the computers device list and then downloaded and installed the driver.  Now my drawings are printing at the proper 1:1 scale!

Thanks so much for the advice!