Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help with file recovery

wizardgmb
I installed LibreCAD 2.1.3 on my Win10 Optiplex 780 this past weekend and spent the three days working on a power distribution and monitoring backboard drawing as part of a construction permit application. After 30+ hours work, I only needed some comments and a border/title block. I'd been saving the drawing regularly in addition to the autosave and before I shut the program down last night, I saved a backup copy, with a different name, to a thumb drive. This morning I restarted LibreCAD and opened the file saved moments before shutting down last night. I found a two day old version of the drawing with a since scrapped configuration and no detailing! When I opened the backup copy, I found a blank drawing. A search of the computer revealed an even older version and one with the name "#Power Distribution Wall II.dxf~" created less than two hours before I shut down last night. When I try to open the file with LibreCAD I get an error message stating "Cannot open the file" "Please check its existence and permissions". Given the extra # and ~ characters and size, 3x the size of a .dxf file, I assume this is a working file. Is there a way to open this file and hopefully recover most of my work?

I've posted a copy of the file to my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0h6WmugnPLldkdrVU1yRWJXeG8

Regards,
George
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help with file recovery

wizardgmb
After posting, I tried a different search expression for this forum and found the following thread:

http://forum.librecad.org/dxf-file-temporary-file-td5706840.html

I followed the recommendation in a reply and created a copy without the # and ~ on the ends. I was able to open the file and found it missing only 3 labels from the version I tried to save before shutting down last night. I apologize for not doing a more thorough search before posting. However, according the thread having both # and ~ appended to the file name is an anomaly and the thread starter isn't alone in experiencing that anomaly. Now that the panic is alleviated, I can add to my original description in the hope someone can track down the anomaly.

- I clicked "Save" when I finished working.
- I clicked "Save as" and changed drives to create a backup on the thumb drive.
- I tried to close LibreCAD, was asked if I wanted to save the drawing and clicked yes.
- I tried again to close LibreCAD using the X in the upper right corner and was again asked if I wanted to save. I clicked no since I'd already saved twice in the span of 2 minutes; LibreCAD closed otherwise normally.

I hope this helps! I'll post separately about other anomalies I've experienced.

Regards.
George
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help with file recovery

adamdegross
In reply to this post by wizardgmb
Too complex