How to joint objects, then copy and paste the joined object?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to joint objects, then copy and paste the joined object?

librecaduser
I have an ellipse with some lines and circle inside the ellipse in isometric drawing mode.
I like to group or join this objects into one.
Then I like to click the object and it would select all the object.
After that I lie to copy and paste them at various locations with mouse.

I do not know how to joint all the objects into one object.

Here is what I tried.
1) I select with mouse all the objects by drawing a rectangle over the region.
The objects turns blue.
2) Then I click Modify > Move/Copy
And use the mouse to reselect the entire blue area.
The selected objects (now a duplicate) turns white.
There is no marker to show where to align the selected object with a desire drop location.

3) Then I move the mouse pointer to the desire place.
But the position of the mouse pointer is not the position where the selected object is dropped.

Questions:
a) How do I joint all the parts into one object when in isometric mode?
b) The way I am doing the copy above is probably wrong and it is cumbersome.
How to you copy an object and then use a mouse to drop it at location pointed by mouse?
I thought if you use Modify> move/copy, then click on the object and them move the mouse to a desired location and click again.  But it does not work!  So I must have missed a step!

Please advice.
Thank you.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to joint objects, then copy and paste the joined object?

dellus
If you really want to join objects you have to use the "create block" command. In certain cases also "create polylines of existing segments" will do.
For move/copy it is enough to select them together, as you did. After clicking move/copy look at the command line. It asks for "specify reference point" and then "specify target point".
Reply | Threaded
|

librecaduser
Thanks.
How do you create a block suchthat multiple object becomes one object in isometric mode?

I did not find this in the user's documentation so far.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Isometric mode makes no difference. As dxli already wrote, isometric only means the grid is isometric, as an aid to construct an isometric drawing. But it is 2d only.
Reply | Threaded
|

librecaduser
Can someone show me the steps to do this?
>>> How do you create a block suc hthat multiple object becomes one object in isometric mode?

There is no instruction on how to group multiple elements into a block.
Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Christian
Hello Librecaduser,
I will try to help you create a block.
The problem here will be that I use a later version of LC: Version: 2.1.0-alpha
Commit: db581f4
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.9.1
Compiled on: Apr  1 2016
Qt Version: 5.4.1
Boost Version: 1.53.0
But lets try:
First it does not matter if you are in isometric or not, LC is just a 2D CAD program.
Once you have selected all the entities you need to join, select the tool "Create a Block", it looks like a rectangle with a circle in the lower left corner and a green point in the lower right. Specify a reference point (you will need it if you copy it somewhere else).
Once you click on the point chosen a small window will open: "Block Settings", it will ask you for a Block Name, give it a name and OK it. Your block is created, now all the entities you selected are just one unit.
If you want to save this block for future use you need to make sure you save it in the block list. I suggest that you read the following document for more on that: http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/Blocks.
I am working at the moment on an instruction document for all the drawing tools, it is not complete yet but I join here a PDF version of what exists:
Tools_instructions.pdf
Last but not least, if you want to break your block back into the various original entities, select your block and click on the Explode tool in Modify.
I hope it helps,
Regards,
Christian