Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Imperial Architectural Dimensions.

David CM Stiles
I have been trying to use the fractional dimensions listed under "Current Drawing Preferences".  They don't seem to work.  I am wondering if this function has been removed as "old school".  I have tried entering dimensions in the Command Window.  Also have tried to draw a line or a circle, and then dimension it.  Neither appears to work.  Any ideas?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Imperial Architectural Dimensions.

dellus
Should work in principle. Have a look at this test file arch_inch_1_96_101inches.dxf
But there are issues. Not all matters of Imperials have been properly implemented, as LibreCAD is of European origin. For instance suppressing zero feet and zero inches is to no effect, also entering values in the Command Window with feet and inches don't work as expected. I think you have to recalculate to inches in advance for input, but I don't remember exactly.
Reply | Threaded
|

David CM Stiles
Thank you dellus.  To be frank, I don't understand the link you posted. Not to worry.  You might be thinking, why does this geezer want to use feet and inches, or fractional inches anyway.  Here's the reason.  I am working on ancient buildings (in this case); they were obviously designed in feet and inches.  It seems appropriate to continue to design in imperial; it somehow makes more sense than to convert to meaningless dimensions once converted to Metres and Millimetres.  Unfortunately, using decimal feet makes no sense either, nor does decimal inches, the latter giving numbers inconveniently high on a building.  Unless one of you clever C programmers can resolve this, I will have to convert all dimensions to decimal metres.  Perhaps it would be best to remove the fractional option from Current Drawing Preferences?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
If you just try to open the link, you will see the code of the file. You have to download it (right mouse click - save linked content as..or however it's in English, I have German OS), and then open it in LibreCAD. It's a sample file for architectural dimensionings in imperial. I don't know about the right standards, but it might give you a start, if you look at the drawing preferences.
Indeed you can't put in a length in feet and inches at the command line. For example for that line of 8'-5" length you have to write 101 (inches).
I am not a developer, just a user. Unfortunately developers for LibreCAD are scarce at the moment. Do you know someone to recruit?

Merry Christmas

dellus

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by David CM Stiles
You can write a mathematical expression into the command line for a length, for instance for 8'-1 1/16" write 8*12+1+1/16. Complicated, yes.
Reply | Threaded
|

David CM Stiles
Yes, that would, say produce a line of the required length.  But what would happen when you tried to dimension the line ?  Do you suppose it would come out as 97 1/16" ?  I am not convinced that the system would recognise a fraction, eg 1/16". Will have to experiment.
Reply | Threaded
|

David CM Stiles
In reply to this post by dellus
Thanks again dellus, and a merry Christmas to you also.  I will certainly take a look at the file as you have suggested.  Right now I have to assemble the two manuals into some semblance of order.  How sad is that - on a Christmas morning ?  Regarding the scarcity of developers; no, I do not know anyone.  Back in another life, I used to be a competent Foxpro programmer, and C is not so very different.  I hope that I may be able to help the LibreCAD community in some way in the future.  Even it is only by getting imperial dimensions to work!!
Reply | Threaded
|

David CM Stiles
In reply to this post by David CM Stiles
I am being stupid here.  Of course the system would recognise ONE divided by SIXTEEN.  The question remains,  how would the dimension appear?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus

You have to set the precision to 0'-0 1/16 for both units and dimensions.
Upgraded sample file: arch_inch_1_96_101inches_1.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

David CM Stiles
Wow! I have just tried what you have suggested.....and yes, it works!  I am amazed.  Thanks again dellus.