Import error: error reading DXF/DWG sections.

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Import error: error reading DXF/DWG sections.

Jinkers
Hi all,

New here.  Strictly a beginner.  I have done some 2D stuff in Desault DraftSight but that is now payware.  I use Fusion360 for creating 3D objects for printing or use with a Shaper Origin (basically a hand held CNC router).  I purchased CAD plans for a project and have been unable to open them in LibreCAD.  I can view the file in DWG TrueView, but of course am not able to modify or export smaller DXF files of individual parts to import as sketches into Fushion360.  

When I try to open the DXF in LibreCAD I get an "Import error: error reading DXF/DWG sections".  In the command line box I get "Hatch failed due to a gap" errors.

The file I am trying to open is an AutoCAD DXF file that is 103MB.

Is this file too large to open in libreCAD?
What is the "gap" error about?

Any suggestions on how to access this file?

Thanks!
- Scott

Version: 2.2.0-rc3-24-g4602ec6a
Compiler: GNU GCC 7.3.0
Compiled on: Mar  5 2022
Qt Version: 5.12.4
Boost Version: 1.65.1
System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Import error: error reading DXF/DWG sections.

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Welcome Scott!

There are 2 issues here.

The import error is hard to estimate without the file. Could be the file version, possibly too new, with unsupported features.
Do you have information about the DXF version?
ASCII or binary DXF?
Eventually TrueView can provide these info? Or find the AC10xx code when you open the DCF with a text editor.
I assume you can't post the file publicly when it was purchased. But if you want to provide it private to me, for debugging only, I can send you my email address.

The other issue, with hatch, is about a non closed contour. The error message should provide the length and coordinates of the gap to locate them.
LibreCAD is very strict here, when the contour is not exactly closed, hatch is not applied.
We have no strategy or tool to solve this automatically.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Jinkers
Hi Armin, Thanks for the reply!

As best as I can tell the original CAD file was created in AutoCAD 2021 (AC1021).  Since I can open the file in Notepad and read lines with words and numbers I'm guessing that it is ASCII.  However, as I said in my OP I am a beginner and could easily be wrong.

You are correct that I signed a NDA when I purchased the files.  The seller has been responsive but doesn't warrant that the files will work in anything but AutoCAD.  He doesn't have any other suggestions except that if you don't have AutoCAD then TruView allows you to view the files and print out the templates.  The file has very detailed drawings of parts and also provides layouts to print as patterns to cut from 4x8 sheets of plywood or MDF.  I want to modify some of the parts and use my Shaper Origin to cut some of them and 3d prints some of the others.  

The second issue, concerning hatch...  Yes the error message provides the length and coordinates of the gap but I have no way to edit the file.

I gather from your response that this means that I am out of luck when it comes to opening this file in LibreCAD?

If that is the case can you suggest another solution.  I was hoping not to have to pay for DraftSight or AutoCAD.

Thanks!

- Scott

Version: 2.2.0-rc3-24-g4602ec6a
Compiler: GNU GCC 7.3.0
Compiled on: Mar  5 2022
Qt Version: 5.12.4
Boost Version: 1.65.1
System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
The AC1021 stands for AutoCAD 2007, this is a version supported by our libdxfrw library. My hope was that it is a newer version and providing an older one, like 2007, could solve the issue.
But as it is already 2007 this hope is gone.

One option coming to my mind is to try the latest QCAD version. They have still a free version.
When QCAD opens the files flawlessly, but misses tools you have to pay for, you possibly can export smaller portions to use with LibreCAD then.

Otherwise I'm afraid to say, that LibreCAD can't help you with that file.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution