classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PDF exports blank

gnathan87
Hi guys,

I'm afraid I'm having a blank export to pdf problem. I've searched the forum and notice this is a relatively common issue, but can't find anything that helps. I've set a paper size in preferences, my layers are set to print, and I've selected the correct area in print preview. Changing the colour of the lines does nothing. Both printing to file and export to pdf produce blank documents. Haven't provided an example file because it happens on every file, although can do if necessary. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Version: 2.1.3
Compiler: GNU GCC 8.3.0
Compiled on: May 16 2019
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Boost Version: 1.67.0
System: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: PDF exports blank

dellus
Linewidth = 0 ?  Does it print on paper?  Try with different pdf viewer. Stay in Print Preview mode when printing / exporting. Why not provide a sample file, costs nothing, just to exclude it's something with the settings.
Reply | Threaded
|

gnathan87
Thank you, linewidth=0 fixed it!

I do feel a bit silly to have missed this, but I'm guessing I unthinkingly skipped over it given that everything was displaying fine in print preview and the normal editor. This might be obvious once you know your way around the program, but it does seem slightly unintuitive to the newcomer. Could I perhaps suggest setting the default line width to something other than 0, and also to ensure that print preview accurately reflects line widths? I notice a couple of other people have recently been caught out by this. I get that it's not possible to predict the appropriate width for the drawing scale, but perhaps these changes would help improve discoverability.

Thanks again!
Reply | Threaded
|

aman
Or perhaps familiarize your self to CAD principles before using

Line widths are so fundamental in any CAD design.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by gnathan87
When I make a drawing with linewidth=0.00 mm and export to pdf with V 2.1.3 on Linux, I do get visible lines. But there can be a difference how the pdf - viewer handles thin lines. On three viewers these 0.00 mm lines were shown without problems. But Adobe Reader had a check-box in settings for "Enhance thin lines". If not ticked 0.00 mm width lines were very faint to unvisible. So check if your viewer has a similar setting. Or try a different one. Or test the pdf on a different pc, different OS.  
Reply | Threaded
|

gnathan87
In reply to this post by aman
Aman,

I hate to say it, but this really is a terrible response. Can I recommend that your first instinct is not to bat away user feedback with the assumption that they haven't bothered. The issue might seem obvious to you, but there is a surprising disparity between how obvious something seems before and after you know how - even when you've done your research.

The reason I failed to find the solution here was not due to unawareness of line thickness, but because the program was giving misleading cues; namely, displaying lines in print preview despite them being 0 width. There are clearly multiple people tripping up over this same issue, which is a good reason to suggest a potential change.

I know this is free software, and I definitely don't demand anything of anybody. But at the same time I know development is taken seriously and presume that feedback is welcome. :-)