Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Print Scale

claytoncarney
I clearly don't understand how the print preview scale factor works.

My Drawing Preferences are:

* Paper Format: Letter
* Units: Foot

I have a scale symbol  on the drawing which is 10 feet wide.

I'm trying to print at 1 inch on paper is 10 feet (viz. my scale symbol should be 1 inch wide printed).

At preview scale factor of 1:120, the symbol is less than 1 inch wide printed.

At preview scale factor of 1:110, the symbol is more than 1 inch wide printed.

What exactly is this preview scale factor (x:y what is x and what is y)? I don't understand how to set this value to obtain the stated goal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Print Scale

dellus
I suspect the problem is in your printer driver settings. It is probably set as print to fit page, so the content is shrunk a little bit to fit into the printable area. Set it to 100%.  
Reply | Threaded
|

claytoncarney
Good suggestion. However, I do not find a 'print to fit' option in LC.

I don't find that option in Windows Settings for the printer either. I have seen the option in other applications, but not LC.

Am I looking in the wrong place?
Reply | Threaded
|

claytoncarney
OK, I think I found what you were referring to:

However, I always had 'fixed' checked, which causes that button to disappear.

Perhaps the more fundamental question is: what does the scale factor x:y really mean? I would assume it means something like the ratio of printer-units to drawing-units. Even so, it appears I need something between 1:100 and 1:120. However, none of those values seem to make sense. What am I missing here???

My goal is 1 inch on the printed page equals 10 feet in the drawing.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by claytoncarney
I'm clueless then.
You could export to pdf in Print Preview mode with the same settings. Some pdf viewers have a tool to measure distances in the pdf, as if on paper.
And you can also print out from the pdf, to see if a Print to fit appears in the windows printer settings, and if the printed size is right.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by claytoncarney
Scale 1:120 should be right. One inch fits 120 times into 10 feet.
The scale setting is a bit quirky and often doesn't want to stick to the value you have type in. I'm not sure about the proper procedure at the moment.
Reply | Threaded
|

claytoncarney
I agree completely: 1:120 should be correct (120" = 10').

However, on the printout, the 10' symbol measures 0.955".

I do find with 'fixed' checked, the scale value entered remains constant when toggling Print Preview.

Update: I printed a 1" square rectangle in GIMP, InkScape, and LibreOffice Draw. None of them measured 1".

Perhaps it's a printer calibration issue. If it is, I don't know how to fix it...
Reply | Threaded
|

claytoncarney
OK. I found an old version of my printer driver from 2014. I completely removed the latest version. I then installed the old version. Viola! Now 1:120 scale prints a 1" symbol correctly. Oy! Every since HP took over support for Samsung printers, their software has been crap.

Thank you dellus!