Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Text Font

micksulley
I want to create a drawing with some stencil font text.  When I use the MText function the pop up box allows me to select the font, but the options do not include the font I want, in fact the list of available fonts is completely different to the fonts installed on my machine and available in other packages.  Does LibreCAD use it's own set of fonts?  Is there some way to install the font I want?
Running version 2.1.2 in Linux Mint 19
Thanks
Mick
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Text Font

dellus
Yes, LibreCAD uses it's own fonts, in .lff format. You can't use system fonts.
There is a tool, ttf2lff.exe for the windows version, where you can convert a ttf to an lff, but it depicts the outline of a letter without filling, no real sticky font, as basic in CAD. I don't know if it's available in the linux version.
Reply | Threaded
|

micksulley
I found this post
http://forum.librecad.org/how-can-i-use-more-FONTS-ttf-td5483251.html
which give a link to a Linux tiff2tff, but the link doesn't work.  What I am looking for is a stencil font, where for example the O is not complete but has tabs to stop the centre dropping out.
Is there any other way to achieve this?
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Welcome Mick,

there was same question on Zulip a couple of days ago.
In my reply I asked for a stencil font I can convert and add to LibreCAD, but got no response.

So the font should be under a free licence, e.g. creative commons or something like that.
Then I can try to convert and add it to our font library.
But not all fonts are convertible, it must be an outline font iirc.

I need at least a font name or link.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

micksulley
The font I want to use is Allerta Stencil.  The web page says that it is free for commercial use, although I only want it for personal use.

https://www.1001fonts.com/allerta-font.html

Does that give you what you need?

Thanks for your help
Mick
Reply | Threaded
|

micksulley
Update - I just had a brainwave, installed Windows 10 in a virtual Box, installed ttf2lff for windows (https://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/Windows/ttf2lff/ttf2lff_1.zip/download) , converted the font there, then copied it to my main Linux system and I can see it!

It would be nice to have it included in LC but for the moment I have a solution.

Thanks
Mick
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Mick,

testing around with the explode tool, for your dxf2gcode issue, I found a little weakness you may stumble on. The tool bar button and menu icon are not released after explode tool has finished.

Explode tool active:

Explode finished:

Generally there are two ways to use the tool.
1. Select the text first and then the Explode tool. With tool selection the text is exploded immediately.
2. Select the Explode tool first, with no selection at all, then the command line states that you should select to explode.
Select one or more entities and hit ENTER to finish selection.
Then all the selected entities are exploded.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

micksulley
Armin, many thanks that is brilliant!  So easy when you know how to do it:)
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
No problem, you're welcome.