Open this post in threaded view
|

Trim Bug? New User warning

Mr.H
Here I attempt the basic trim on a circle, to create a sort of "hat"
Basic Circle Trim
I create a circle with 1inch diameter
I put a horizontal line through it long enough to create intersecting points
I select the Trim function (not trim two)
I select the horizontal line as limiting entity, the line turns a green color
Next I am told to Select entity to trim
I then go to select the top half of the circle to complete the trim, and it does nothing.

I have attempted saving and reloading the file, with no luck.

It does, however, work as expected with lines.

Version: 2.1.3
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.9.1
Compiled on: Sep 23 2016
Qt Version: 5.4.1
Boost Version: 1.60.0
System: Windows

Windows 10
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trim Bug? New User warning

dellus
Try with selecting the top half of the circle at a different position (other side).
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr.H
Attempting to select the entity to trim (top half of circle) in multiple spots does not work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr.H
After messing around with it further, I found two new details, and it leads me to believe there is indeed a bug.

First off, I was able to get the final result I am looking for through a seemingly random chain of events that include selcting objects (circle/line) before trimming. Though I can not reproduce this.

Secondly, I created a second verson. This time instead of creating a line that went through and beyond, I created another circle with a line snapped to the edge, and extended through. Like so:

Create circle (1" Diameter)
Create 2 point line - snap first point to circle, and second point extended through and beyond circle

More basic circle trim

The trim function works as expected with this object.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Mr.H
I have tested again, exactly with circle 1 '' diameter, works for me.

Maybe the layer is locked (lock symbol in layer list black), then you can select the limiting entity, but the operation is not executed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr.H
In reply to this post by Mr.H
Also considering the original object, circle with a line longer than the diameter through the circle, I found some interesting reactions when using the trim feature.

I select the horizontal line as limiting entity.
I then proceed to select the top half of the circle to trim the bottom half.
When selecting, I do see a reaction from the program.
     The reaction is hard to explain: Basically I can see a reaction of the program on the pixels (they shift or stutter), but do not behave as expected (expected the pixels to disappear), and the behavior I do see as noted is very very minute.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr.H
In reply to this post by dellus
Unfortunately the layers do not seem to be contributing anything to this behavior. I have only 1 layer (the default) and it has not been locked or modified at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Maybe you have multiple circles of same size and position, created accidentally. Can you select the circle and delete it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr.H
I tried your suggestion. I selected the circle, and deleted, and it is now completely gone.

I see what you mean. Though, there is certainly only 1 circle object.

I did also attempt going through the motions (or commands) of performing the trim function, and after deleting the circle. It still deletes the entire and only circle leaving me with only a line. So I believe that it could have been that it creates a copy of itself after the trim is done. But this is not the case.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Maybe your drawing is corrupted somehow.
Try if it 's different with this one, it worked for me: trimtohat.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr.H
I am at a loss here. I've created a new drawing and attempted numerous ways to trim with numerous object setups (i.e. multiple ways of drawing my "hat") and it worked as expected (albeit with numerous clicks around the trimmed object) with each iteration. I'll have to look into screen recording to really show what's going on. I will update later.