Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

files not being saved

bill100001
I am getting very frustrated the last couple of days as I am working on a set of architectural drawings and I now have made the same changes and updates twice and they did not save so I have about 4 hours of lost work on this drawing set. I re-organized the file directory before the lost changes occurred do you suppose that might have something to do with it. I have stopped and went to "file"- "save" numerous time through progress and before closing.

any suggestions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: files not being saved

aman
Hello  bill100001!

Before starting the third time that long job, I'd suggest drawing some very simple sketch, save it. Check carefully where will you save your file, and name it so you can find it, for example include date in the name.

Can you open this file? Close LibreCad, try opening it again.

If this test goes through, proceed, If not, then we have to trouble shoot what is your problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

bill100001
thanks, I did just that and I am not exactly sure what the implication is but once you start a drawing in a directory you can't move it. if you do it seems that saving it looses the path, I am not sure if this can be fixed by directing the path, but I haven't tried, just leave it where your started it and its seems OK
Reply | Threaded
|

bill100001
I thought I had this problem solved when I would use "save as" at the end of a drawing session and then pick the same file name effectively over writing the earlier version. This has worked for quite a while but yesterday I lost a half days work. The program is regularly interrupting the work as it auto saves but this seems to not do anything to save the work done.

Should I update my version, this one is probably 18 month old

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
The autosaving creates back up files, for the case of a crash or something like that. These are named #filename.dxf and filename.dxf~. You may search for those with your search tool. Maybe you will find lost drawings.

Autosaving doesn't save your work on a drawing at the end when you close it, you still have to do it manually.

It's probably not LibreCAD's fault, you must be doing something wrong with saving and opening.

If you are on Windows I recommend to upgrade to V 2.2.0 rc2, it's much improved, but it won't change anything with your files not being saved problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Taipan30
In reply to this post by bill100001
I am having similar issues with Windows 10 and LibreCad

Version: 2.1.3
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.9.1
Compiled on: Sep 23 2016
Qt Version: 5.4.1
Boost Version: 1.60.0
System: Windows

Under open file from menu, all I see is the PFD version of the files I created. If I put *.* in the file name, all the dxf's show up, but some open with a new layout. Old file & layers are gone. A lot of work has vanished. Also a double click on the file doesn't open LibreCad. It brings up a Window dialog looking for a file to open it. LibreCad isn't an option.
Reply | Threaded
|

RJ_draftsman
@Taipan30

I'm having a similar problem with this version.

I can make a simple drawing, save as a .dxf (2007), make copies, etc. Reopen them and their contents are gone. No layers, no nothing.

Version: 2.1.3
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.9.1
Compiled on: Sep 23 2016
Qt Version: 5.4.1
Boost Version: 1.60.0
System: Windows 10
Reply | Threaded
|

perepujal
Maybe you are openeing the files as Qcad 1.x file?
Please double check in the open dialog that the file type is Drawing Exchange
If that doesn't fix the problem, then sorry, I have no other ideas.

HTH
Pere
Reply | Threaded
|

RJ_draftsman
@perepujal

Thanks! Changing to open as drawing exchange fixed it.

Why does Qcad 1.x have the same file extension (.dxf)? That makes things so confusing!