All selected parts moving to layer you click.. is this normal??

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

All selected parts moving to layer you click.. is this normal??

joonasr

Hi,

1) hide some layers.
2) select some drawings from other, visible layers
3) click some hidden layer to become visible

Boom! All your drawings got cramped to that layer you once u click it. If I have something selected and then change to some other layer (visible or not) all the drawings just jump there.

The WORST thing is that undo does not undo this! All layer info got lost.

What's going on? ..please help.

My system: Linux mint 17
I have added repository librecad-stable (deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/librecad-dev/librecad-stable/ubuntu trusty main) and installed in synaptic (shows 2.0.4-1~dialy~ubun)

Program says:
Version: master
SCM Revision: 2.0.4
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.8.2
Qt Version: 4.8.6
Compiled on: Jun 24 2014
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: All selected parts moving to layer you click.. is this normal??

dxli
This was implemented as a feature.

I will make sure this feature is NOT enabled by default. We also need a GUI support to enable/disable this feature.

joonasr wrote
Hi,

1) hide some layers.

Boom! All your drawings got cramped to that layer you once u click it. If I have something selected and then change to some other layer (visible or not) all the drawings just jump there.

I have added repository librecad-stable (deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/librecad-dev/librecad-stable/ubuntu trusty main) and installed in synaptic (shows 2.0.4-1~dialy~ubun)

Program says:
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by joonasr
I added an option to enable/disable this feature in :

Edit->Application Preferences->Default->Modify layer of selected, at layer activation

TODO: add attributes to undo cycles

joonasr wrote
Hi,

1) hide some layers.

Program says:
Reply | Threaded
|

joonasr

Feature ..uh :) I bet very few new users expect changing layer, especially visibility of a layer, to have such a dramatic effect.

So it will be impossible to disable until some new stable version appears, someday?

Librecad is truely a great program but there is a few un-intuitive features.

I wonder eg. is there some reason why this moving the selected -feature does not work with an inherent optionality. Like: "select stuff" -> "right click a layer" -> "choose from: copy here, move here, create a block and copy here, some crazy extra option..." or something like that?

Why the right click dialogue box seems to be "banned"?

Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
I checked. The code clearly says the feature is disabled by default.

If you are running the latest release (2.0.7), or the latest development, you can clean up all local settings:

1, close all running instances of LibreCAD;
2, rm all LibreCAD setting file, information of the file location: http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qsettings.html
3, start LibreCAD

LibreCAD is using all default settings now.

joonasr wrote
Feature ..uh :) I bet very few new users expect changing layer, especially visibility of a layer, to have such a dramatic effect.

So it will be impossible to disable until some new stable version appears, someday?

I wonder eg. is there some reason why this moving the selected -feature does not work with an inherent optionality. Like: "select stuff" -> "right click a layer" -> "choose from: copy here, move here, create a block and copy here, some crazy extra option..." or something like that?

Reply | Threaded
|

joonasr
dxli wrote
If you are running the latest release (2.0.7), or the latest development,

joonasr wrote

Program says:
I'm pretty sure I have it on as a default. Can I turn it off?
Reply | Threaded
|

joonasr
In reply to this post by dxli

I also assume that the shifting of drawings on the "selected layer" when toggling a visibility of some layer is not really an intended part of this feature.

I get it that it is a handy way to move things around, though I would rather want to copy, but toggling visibility is necessary for other operation as well.

You cant:
1) hide helper lines
2) rubber band your target drawings
3) select operation, like copy
4) toggle on visibility of the helper lines to snap.. boom!

Maybe this would work really nice if, say, ctrl button could toggle do you want to move or copy the "selected layer" and only clicking the layer (name) itself, not visibility, would do the action.

Cherry on top, there would be a tooltip telling you what will happen if you click a layer you're hoovering on.

Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
In reply to this post by joonasr
I wasn't aware of this feature until reading this thread. However, I'm guessing it was implemented to mirror Autocad functionality (select objects, then select the layer you want -> moves objects to that layer). The visibility aspect I don't understand; and I was not able to reproduce the behavior with the Nightly build from yesterday. I will test with the latest commit within the next few hours.

There is a more intuitive way to change the layer of an object: Modify -> Properties
Unfortunately this is relatively hidden... I have suggested making it a top level icon or making a command or hotkey for it.

Right click in LibreCAD steps back in the current tool operation, and then once out of the operation it steps back through the toolbar menu.

joonasr wrote

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
There is no need to test this.

In LibreCAD 2.0.4, build on Jun 24 2014, the version joonasr is using, this feature was fresh implemented, hard coded switched on.
As other users struggled with it, it was reverted a couple days later. Then it was reimplemented as option that is default off, a few day after. But there was no GUI option to switch it on, only by hacking config file.

The problem is, that the Linux stable ppa got stuck on this version. To use newer version joonasr has to use the daily ppa or build from source himself.

Meanwhile dxli has added a GUI switch for this option, but as said before, for Linux only usable by daily ppa or build from source.

Armin

investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
Oh I see...

I tested anyhow. :D

I see what he is saying about the visibility aspect.

If I have a circle selected in layer 0 and press the visibility icon on layer 1 then the selected circle is moved to layer 1.
Reply | Threaded
|

joonasr
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes

I updated to "daily build" and after activating this feature all lines still move when toggling visibility, which, I assume, is not intended.

Like I said this would work really nice if, say, ctrl button could toggle do you want to move or copy the "selected layer" and only clicking the layer (name) itself, not visibility, would do the action.

Cherry on top, there would be a tooltip telling you what will happen if you click a layer you're hoovering on. Currently there are no cues of what is going on for the user.

Needless to say the undo is must to have.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
The problem is that clicking any icon related to a layer activates that layer.
The same thing will happen if you click the lock or construction icons.

The hotkey idea could work.

Two other options that I think would be acceptable:

1. when you right click on a layer the context menu has "move selected to this layer"

2. make a hotkey, command and/or top level icon for Modify → Attributes
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli