Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Behavior of the layer list.

cadman
Working with many layers, so many that exceed the list and scroll bar appears; when a check box is selected show / hide / lock the bar behavior is to automatically scroll to the top of the list, this is annoying and even sometimes have no option to select a contiguous layer, is there any way to change the default behavior of the list?
I do not see it useful, maybe if you could choose the behavior would be more useful.
A greeting and thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Behavior of the layer list.

LordOfBikes
Administrator
I was disturbed by this behavior too and digged  into code a while ago, but found no solution so far.

The problem is, when changing a layers preferences by clicking the icon in the layer list, this layer has to become temporary the actual layer. After changing the layers preferences the rather actual layer is reactivated. This leads to a scroll to make the active layer visible in the list.

My workaround is, when I work on files with many layers, to activate one of the visible layers. After  changing preferences of contiguous layers I scroll back and activate the layer I need for drawing.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by cadman
how to reproduce this? please describe with a testcase dxf and in steps.

cadman wrote
Working with many layers, so many that exceed the list and scroll bar appears; when a check box is selected show / hide / lock the bar behavior is to automatically scroll to the top of the list, this is annoying and even sometimes have no option to select a contiguous layer, is there any way to change the default behavior of the list?
I do not see it useful, maybe if you could choose the behavior would be more useful.
A greeting and thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
1. Create or use a drawing, let's say, layers 0 to 50
2. Select Layer 0 as your active layer
3. Now freeze layers 40 to 50

After scrolling to layer 40 and freeze it by clicking the eye icon in the layer list, the layer list automatically scrolls back to layer 0, because it's the active layer.
You have to repeat scrolling to the end of the layer list for each layer to change.

Therefor my workaround, make layer 40 the active one, freeze layers 40 to 50 without scrolling and at the end activate layer 0 again.

dli, I was investigating this, because I was affected by this too. The problem is, that the messages to freeze, lock or print are sent to the active layer. Therefor the layer to change becomes the active one for sending the message and then the previous layer is reactivated, what causes the scrolling.
I experimented with the ensure visible property, but that degraded the function of the layer list.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Armin,

can you review my changes:

629643f..baaf7df  master -> master

It may require more fixes:

do we want it to scroll back to active layer, on layerwidget focus in/out events?

Reply | Threaded
|

cadman
Hi, has perfectly explained @ LordOfBikes, I would add another example.

Suppose we have many layers and we move down the list to perform an action, if I want to block or hide two or more adjacent layers, the sequence would click the first layer thereupon we click on the second, but the behavior the list is to place the layer in the first position and the list is moving faster than the second click action can be performed at any layer.

The problem is that if you do not know how to act in this list many mistakes, thinking you are on the correct layer.

It is problematic whether this is known, I make sure I do is coat and actions, the problem is that it affects the speed and you have to be very careful.

A greeting and thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
please build from the latest git source and test the new behavoir.

cadman wrote
Hi, has perfectly explained @ LordOfBikes, I would add another example.

Suppose we have many layers and we move down the list to perform an action, if I want to block or hide two or more adjacent layers, the sequence would click the first layer thereupon we click on the second, but the behavior the list is to place the layer in the first position and the list is moving faster than the second click action can be performed at any layer.

The problem is that if you do not know how to act in this list many mistakes, thinking you are on the correct layer.

It is problematic whether this is known, I make sure I do is coat and actions, the problem is that it affects the speed and you have to be very careful.

A greeting and thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
dxli,

works great for me, many thanks!

Armin