classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can no longer pan with middle mouse button [SOLVED]

ciclista41
This post was updated on .
I'm a long-time user.  I'm running archlinux updated today.  I was working on a drawing and maybe hit some setting by accident, but all of a sudden, was not able to pan using the middle mouse button.  I get the fist icon when pressing the middle (scroll) button, but the drawing will not move.  I can zoom in and out by scrolling, but always from the same fixed point.  I tried reopening the file, then reopening LibreCAD, then restarting my computer.  No joy.  I tried opening other files that I've created in LibreCAD, and they all pan just fine.  But I can't seem to find a difference in my settings between the files that pan and the one that doesn't.

Any ideas how to get this important feature back?

Thanks,

Bruce
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can no longer pan with middle mouse button

dxli
panning is by ctl- (or, Win- /Command-) with the left button.

The middle button(MB2) is rarely used in LC, since it's not common to windows/mac users.

ciclista41 wrote
I'm a long-time user.  I'm running archlinux updated today.  I was working on a drawing and maybe hit some setting by accident, but all of a sudden, was not able to pan using the middle mouse button.  I get the fist icon when pressing the middle (scroll) button, but the drawing will not move.  I can zoom in and out by scrolling, but always from the same fixed point.  I tried reopening the file, then reopening LibreCAD, then restarting my computer.  No joy.  I tried opening other files that I've created in LibreCAD, and they all pan just fine.  But I can't seem to find a difference in my settings between the files that pan and the one that doesn't.

Any ideas how to get this important feature back?

Thanks,

Bruce
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
In reply to this post by ciclista41
Of course, you can use the middle mouse button to pan a drawing.

I tried my best, but I found no setting in LibreCAD, which might affect panning or the middle mouse button.
If the archlinux update was involved, it should not work at all anymore.
But as you say, that other drawings pan with the middle mouse button, it must be something within this specific drawing.

There are Current Drawing Preferences, which show settings that are stored inside the DXF, but as already said, I don't see a setting there which locks the drawing somehow.

If you can share the drawing in question, you can post it here for further investigation.

Does the drawing react to the bottom and left scrollbars?
Or does CTRL + left mouse button work?

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

ciclista41
In reply to this post by dxli
Thanks, dxli.  

CTL-left button doesn't work anymore, either, although it does cause the fist icon to go on, just like the center scroll button of the mouse.  

Again, the mouse, the computer, and the LibreCAD still work fine with other files.  It's only the one file that no longer responds properly.

Anyone?
Reply | Threaded
|

ciclista41
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
Hi Lord,

Thanks for your efforts.  No, the bottom and left scrollbars are non-functional, as well.  The sliders fill the entire scrollbars, so cannot move.  This is true until I zoom out one step beyond having the entire drawing in view.  At that point, the sliders disappear from the scrollbars.  Either way, they are non-functional.

I can only zoom in or out centered on the origin point of the grid.  No panning away from that point at all.

I tried to open the same document in the DWG FastView app on my phone, and it reads the problematic document without issue, but that's not LibreCAD, and it's impractical for other than looking at my files while away from home.

The file is approaching a megabyte in size.  Should I post a file that large on here, or how else should I handle that?

I appreciate your willingness to see if it behaves similarly on your machine.

Thanks,

Bruce
Reply | Threaded
|

ciclista41
I just tried turning off all layers in the drawing.  There are 22 of them.  I added them back one by one, and the drawing pans normally on any and all of them except one.  So the problem lies within that single layer.  I'll play with it some more.

Unfortunately, while some of the layers could be fairly easily reproduced, the offending one is quite extensive, so I don't want to delete it and start over.

Any ideas what could cause a single layer of a drawing to cause panning to be disabled?

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
What happens when you use Auto Zoom?
Probably you have accidentally created an entity very far out of sight?
I'm not aware of any limits for common use cases. I just zoomed really far out and can still pan the drawing, even when I can't see it anymore.
There were some issues with zooming in, but reaching the smallest zoom factor, I can still pan too.

I think 1MB is no problem to post. You find the upload function in the More menu of the reply editor.
You can create a file with just the layer in question. And, what you can try, is to delete some entities, save and reopen to see if the issue persists.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can no longer pan with middle mouse button [SOLVED]

ciclista41
Autozoom worked normally if I had the bad layer turned off.  The entire drawing showed in the screen, and there were no extraneous points outside of the expected boundaries of the drawing.

However, when I turned the offending layer on, there was very strange behavior when hitting autozoom.  The red origin cross appeared in the center of the screen.  It was surrounded by a green circle (which is the color of the offending layer), and nothing else was visible no matter how far in or out I zoomed--or so I thought.

I tried to look at the properties of the circle, but I could not select it with the mouse.

I happened to look at the point coordinates at the lower left of the window, and found that the radius of the circle was approximately TEN BILLION inches.  So, I tried zooming in again without giving up quite so quickly.  It took 18 turns of the scroll wheel to finally zoom in enough to fill the screen with my drawing!

Deleting the circle (I was able to select it with the mouse as long as I wasn't trying to select it under Properties) solved my problem.

I have no idea how I could have created a circle with such a huge diameter (approximately four times the diameter of Jupiter, but only about 5/8 the diameter of the sun).  At least I now know that just because there is no sign of a large drawing on the screen is no reason to believe it is not there. Also, panning was likely working even with the offending layer turned on, but because the screen was only showing an extremely small portion of the entire drawing including the immense circle, it appeared that the drawing was not panning at all.

Thank you, thank you, LordOfBikes, for asking the questions that prompted me to investigate more deeply in the right direction and find the solution!

Bruce
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can no longer pan with middle mouse button [SOLVED]

LordOfBikes
Administrator
No problem, you're welcome.
I'm glad you found the solution.

Armin