classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

To draw a clothoid

DVORAK
Hello.

I am a railmodel fan, and I discovered Librecad, and I am very happy with this program.

I ask myself, if the Librecad´s authors will create some command for drawing clothoids.

This curve is used in railways and motorways, for transition between the straights and the curves, for avoiding a strong centrifugal force, once you change of the straights to the curve. The clothoid is a curve with a variable radius from the infinitum (this the straight), to the main curve, so the centrifugal force appears softly, and not as bang.

Of course, in the railmodel, it is absolutely unnecesary the clothoids, but visually is much nicer, if you see soft curves...

It should be great, to have some command for drawing a clothoid, in Librecad.

Thank you very much.

Dvorak
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: To draw a clothoid

dxli
I am thinking about a generic way to add these type of features based on our splinepoints using approximation (say, with a user configurable parameter, number of exact points to use, 10, 100, etc ). The project size would be medium.

Before we figure out this new feature, one workaround could be using our plot equation plugin.

This will be different from hyperbola support, which should still be a new primitive geometry to support, with internal features all based on the actual hyperbola geometry.

DVORAK wrote
Hello.

I am a railmodel fan, and I discovered Librecad, and I am very happy with this program.

I ask myself, if the Librecad´s authors will create some command for drawing clothoids.

This curve is used in railways and motorways, for transition between the straights and the curves, for avoiding a strong centrifugal force, once you change of the straights to the curve. The clothoid is a curve with a variable radius from the infinitum (this the straight), to the main curve, so the centrifugal force appears softly, and not as bang.

Of course, in the railmodel, it is absolutely unnecesary the clothoids, but visually is much nicer, if you see soft curves...

It should be great, to have some command for drawing a clothoid, in Librecad.

Thank you very much.

Dvorak
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: To draw a clothoid

flywire
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by DVORAK
Fairly sure these are also commonly called spiral curves.  iirc they progressively transition from a straight to a curve and back again.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_transition_curve