classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trimming

Bryon
Hi.
Name's Bryon. Already introduced myself on a previous post.
Cannot seem to trim a section of a line from the middle of it. Seems the line can only be trimmed from a point to the end of the line. This is the case using Trim and Trim two. In Trim two you can select the first trim entity but when I try to select the second, Libre Cad connects the two entities. The two "connected entities" will not trim the section. Trying to select the newly connected entities using Trim or Trim two doesn't work. Occasionally Libre Cad creates what appears to be a "new object".
A second question. Example; When I want  to draw a line starting from a point on a separate line I have to place the cursor exactly where I want the first point. No prompt such as end, endpoint, intersection, nearest.
This seems so basic I find it strange even when the program is free. Libre Cad's zoom range is substantially limited IMO making specific selections from a cursor a bit difficult.
I have searched the manual and haven't found a solution even in the tutorials.
BTW, I'm coming from AutoCad, and yes, I do realize Librecad "ain't that". My version (2000) can only be used if I involve an older Windows program such as XP which requires involving a VM. Another exorbitant expense.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Hopefully my query will provide a provoking thought or two at least.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trimming

aman
When you trim, first select the limiting line, then select the part of the trimmed line which stays. Maybe a bit confusing, but I got used it to.

You have not used snaps, there are snaps to endpoints, middle point, etc. Icons are the bottom, place the cursor to one of them and you will see a tool tip.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bryon
LibreCAD has not tool to trim the middle part of a line.
I usually use divide to split the line at the first trimming entity and then trim the second part at the second trimming entity.
This removes the middle part of a line and keeps both end segments.

Second answer is to use snapping: https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ref/snaps.html?highlight=snap#snapping
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Bryon
In reply to this post by aman
Snaps. Right.
Thank you