Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

line weight

Marco
Hi all, is there a way to increase the line weight for improved readability? When I print a cad drawing the lines are very thin and I haven't found a way to thicken them. Many thanks.

Marco
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: line weight

dellus
Reply | Threaded
|

Marco
Thanks dellus. Unfortunately I'm not having much success, though I
believe I've followed instructions to the letter.

I've done a floor plan in three colours: black dimension lines, green
ext. walls, red int. walls, with some text in both green and red. I've
succeeded in increasing the black dimension lines only (but not the
dimension numbers). Also, no matter what values I choose for drawing
units, if I choose 0 decimal accuracy, I always get 4 decimal places in
the dimensions. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Marco
Reply | Threaded
|

Marco
Here's the file I hope.

40_Sanderlane.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Marco
40_Sanderlane_mod1.dxf

There is still more to do but I have to go to sleep now.
Is mm your intended units? Intended print scale? 1:100 I guess. Paper size A4?

Reply | Threaded
|

Marco
Paper size is A4, and yes my scale is 1:100. I'm drawing it again in a new file where I've set decent line weights, and figured out how to get the dimensions to appear like I want i.e. 1.000. But I'm surprised I haven't been able to modify the first drawing, surely there's a way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marco
In reply to this post by dellus
I don't know how to open your modified file...
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
In Chrome: Right click on link and 'Save link as...'. Open in LibreCAD.

btw - Those dimensions must be for the outside walls. Walls have thicknesses so you'll be drawing the inside line soon to get room dimensions. (Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.)

The old 'draw a house plan' tutorials need to be revived (updated).
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Marco
In your drawing lineweights were set as "by Layer", in layer properties was set 0.00mm. Change that to 0.25mm or to your liking and all those entities with lineweight by layer will comply.Or reset them individually for a specific value. Use Properties or Attributes for that.  For dimensions there are some values to be set extra in Options - Current Drawing Preferences - Dimensions.
Your scale shall be 1:100. In CAD you usually draw in real world distances, so 15000 mm for the upper length of your house. Scaling down is done in the print process (Print Preview). To correct your existing drawing do "Select all" and "Scale" x 100.
  "how to get the dimensions to appear like I want i.e. 1.000" - you must use meters then. Scale the drawing (corrected for mm) another time x 0.001 to get right meter values. The settings in dimensions for sizes of the elements have to be adjusted then too. Confusing, isn't it? Yes, learning CAD is not trivial.
  Study the settings (especially for dimensions) in the mods. Mod2 is for mm. mod3 for meters.

Walls have thicknesses, yes, I think your drawing is to be considered as an concept drawing up to now.

40_Sanderlane_mod2.dxf
40_Sanderlane_mod3.dxf

Reply | Threaded
|

Marco
This post was updated on .
Thanks again to you and flywire for your help. I tried copying your settings exactly to modify my drawing but I'm still not succeeding. For example, some of your dimension values have multiplied by .000, but mine don't go there, and when I put in 100 for "general scale" the drawing goes nuts.

Also, I notice the line in your middle "by layer" is thicker than mine, nothing I try changes mine. Also, I can't find Properties or Attributes anywhere... anywho, I'll keep plugging away.

Marco
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
It's not easy to understand it all as newbie.
You have drawn the plan 100 times smaller than the house is, to fit as 1:100 on an A4 sheet. To follow the proper procedure, you have to enlarge it again, 100x, to get it back to the real dimensions. This is done with Tools - Modify - Scale. On the other hand, "General Scale" just adjusts the size of the dimensions elements like text height, arrows etc to the intended print scale. If you don't do both, your drawing goes nuts.
There are two ways to define line thickness: While drawing
You can change that afterwards with Tools - Modify - Properties (single entity) or Attributes (several entities).
Or via Layer properties, if in lineweight "By Layer" has been set:

You could use one of my mods as a template for your own further drawings, just decide for the mm or meter version, delete the contents and draw new.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marco
Sounds good.